Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Missing packages... has this happened to you? >

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Have you ever ordered something to be shipped to you, and the package went missing?

If so... was it to have been delivered by USPS, FedEx, or UPS?

We had another "learning experience" today :-( regarding package delivery. It was a valuable package, delivered to the proper address and signed for by...? An impostor? A total stranger? Customer says she never received it. The carrier says that as long as they found someone at that address who is over 18 to sign for it (they don't care who signs) they consider it properly delivered, and won't be responsible for it.

I would very much like to know if any of you have had packages "go missing".
Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
np3
Power Poster

I have been on the other end where I've been told it was signed for and I never got it. And there are only 2 of us here. So it does work both ways.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Ack makes you wonder if sending anythign to anyone is safe any more.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Can you get a copy of the signature from the carrier?

Last year UPS delivered a gift to a house down the road from us. Amazon was able to give us the signature. Turns out the maid signed for the package not even realizing the carrier had the wrong address. And I was able to collect it without issue.

Good luck, K
Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Have you ever ordered something to be shipped to you, and the package went missing?

If so... was it to have been delivered by USPS, FedEx, or UPS?

We had another "learning experience" today :-( regarding package delivery. It was a valuable package, delivered to the proper address and signed for by...? An impostor? A total stranger? Customer says she never received it. The carrier says that as long as they found someone at that address who is over 18 to sign for it (they don't care who signs) they consider it properly delivered, and won't be responsible for it.

I would very much like to know if any of you have had packages "go missing".
Once. It was literature for a church program. A substitute driver for the mail laid it on my neighbor's porch. He didn't get it and neither did I. Since it was from the church publishing house they did replace it free of charge.
Did they give you the name of the perswon who signed for it?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 AM

If it was the Postal Service you can request a copy of that signature. (Just in case you didn't already know this). I would send a copy of that to the person who was supposed to receive it. Also, please contact your Postmaster or the Supervisor of the delivery unit. It should be reported.

I have seen situations where one member of the family picked up a package and forgot to tell their spouse it came.
They might leave it somewhere say in their vehicle for example and forget about it. In your case if there was someone at the home that received it, they may have put it somewhere and the person who was supposed to receive it doesn't know it's there...(just thinking through possibilities)... Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I have signed for my neighbors packages sent through UPS... I live in an apt bldg, and since my neighbors work, I am frequently the only one home. The UPS driver then leaves a note on their door letting them know the package is at my house. However, some of the neighbor kids have been known to remove notes on doors :roll:
This is very misleading... I guess one would assume it was them who signed for it...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Yes, just once though in many years of many orders! I remember it was an order for yarn and I was tracking the package (probably UPS or FedEx) and I noticed that the status became "delivered" one day when it had not be delivered to ME. Apparently someone signed for it. I hope they were disappointed that all they got was a ball or two of yarn! Lol.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 AM

my street is a circle and there are the same addresses on the east and the west side of the circle. We are always getting the mail for the west side, I mark it and put it back in the mailbox for the postperson, funny we never get any mail thats been marked? I guess they only deliver the other side wrong, lol? so just because there is a signature doesn't mean the correct house received the item.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Oh yeah -- I had a package of my medicines delivered to a house down the street and signed for by their 18 yr old kid. I called UPS and chewed them out (yeah, took me a while to find a human on the phone, too). Never had the problem again!

Might be worthwhile to find out how much ins. costs for the pkgs since you're in a business, and include that in your overall cost.

good luck!