My DH is such a HOOT!!!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 PM

Our DD is on her 2nd tour in AF. We send her boxes every week with things she needs but can't get over there. The USPS is making the boxes smaller so he stuffs them as full as possible.It has taken him almost 3hrs. to fill this little box. DD is a mess
SGT. We sent a container stuffed with socks and other things for her personal use. She saves the plastic containers and he sends her individually wrapped candies to fill the container with and she places it in the mess hall for the troops. DH can pack more candy in that box than you would believe. I thought I had enough to fill the box but he kidnapped the candy I got for the GKs. Good thing that we go to Sam's tomorrow. The GKS will want a little goodies when they come on SAT.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM

I went to click "like", then realized this isn't facebook. Your DH sounds like a winner...and thank your DD for her service over there.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM

I get around the "little or no tape" fuss some postal workers are saying, by putting drops of Elmer's Glue on the box as I fix it into box shape. Then when dry I stuff it full, put some plastic wrap on top of the contents and some glue on the connecting top, then pull the regular tape off and let it bind even more. Then one little discrete layer of tape on the label, that I never forget!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Blessings to your family especially your DD. Manys the time we would watch soliders overseas on th TV and all I wanted to do was jump thru the screen and guard their backs. Doesn't matter who the child is it brings out the mother in all of us!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Love weekly care package senders! Congrats on having a cool kid, too.

I sometimes use candy or jerky as packing materials. Twizzlers is great for larger areas that need filling. I've never had anything break and always wrap foods in Ziplocs.

I've also been heavily taping overseas packages for years. Every seam gets taped. Saved many a package from damage that way. Maybe the difference is that I do home pickup.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Tell her Thank You!! We appreciate what she is doing!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM

I second that.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Amen
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Hee hee- good for him- make use of ALL that space!!!!!!

When hubby travels I have him bring home the toiletries- shampoo, condition, lotion, mouthwash, soap.. Whatever they leave in his room I have him pack it away and bring home.. I take it to my post office and a family from my town sends it to their kid to share with the rest of the troops.. Never thought of sending candy.. Hmm will have to drop off a bag or two hard candies..
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM

A group of mentally challenged young adults have taken it upon themselves to put boxes in the churches and stores for items for the soldiers. They pick them up, do the packaging and mailing. One who is good on the computer does the labels and record keeping. It's so worthwhile on so many counts.

Tell your daughter thank you. I have a granddaughter in the USMC, but she is still stateside. Her fiance is in Afghanistan. Also a grandson in the guards and a grandson in the Navy headed for Behran.