Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Lhasa recognizes something unusual >

My Lhasa recognizes something unusual

My Lhasa recognizes something unusual

Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM

I have a Lhasa but no diabetics and she is a super smart dog, smartest we have ever had. She understands things u tell her. The other day I said do you want to go with me on a road trip. She laid down and rolled over and was pretending she was asleep I guess. Sometimes she likes to go other she doesn't. She has to be under my feet. If I get up in the night just to go potty, she drags herself off our bed and goes in bathroom then back to our bed. Each and every time. She is not a licker tho, she likes to lay up against you.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 PM

I know that some licking is expressing gratitude. My dog licks me like once after I feed her, before she eats.That is cool that she can do that.
I had a dog once that was always a big help with putting my hyperactive foster kids to bed. She would lay with them until they went to sleep. Then she would come find me and lay down with a big sigh! I knes the child was asleep!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM

My Shih Tzu, Chichi wakes me up when mine drops fast or pretty low. She bounces on me and yaps up a storm and she never does it anyother time. Yep, God's other angels, ya know?! and do you know, I just found out in trivia, tonight, that putting the exclamation and question mark together has a name, grammatically correct name. Now this will show you my poor pea brain, I can't remember what it is. ain't this a shame.

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Thats so awesome! There are dogs that can smell when a person has cancer, so why not when your blood drops? I sure makes you wonder where they learn it from though!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 PM

A diabetic's blood pH changes with blood sugar levels. You can smell the "sweetness" on the breath when the levels are really off (my Grandma is really bad at "tasting" things on her forbidden list and we always know). A dog's ability to smell is much greater than a humans so I'm not surprised. It is wonderful that he alerts you with no special training. Service animals are being trained now to do everything from alerting for food alergies to epileptic seizures and it is awesome. Those are special animals and I wish there was more funding/training to place more of them.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Google Goddess

that is great!

my hubby was a severe diabetic since 4th grade and on September 18, 1990 he got a new kidney and pancreas transplant and no longer a diabetic

take care of yourself
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
A diabetic's blood pH changes with blood sugar levels. You can smell the "sweetness" on the breath when the levels are really off (my Grandma is really bad at "tasting" things on her forbidden list and we always know). A dog's ability to smell is much greater than a humans so I'm not surprised. It is wonderful that he alerts you with no special training. Service animals are being trained now to do everything from alerting for food alergies to epileptic seizures and it is awesome. Those are special animals and I wish there was more funding/training to place more of them.
I agree with lab fairy, he probably smells the difference. Lots of wonder stories about animals that are amazing! Give him an extra hug for his love!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 AM

I've had 2 chihuahuas that alert me when my blood sugar is too low. Twice they've saved my life by jumping on me and yapping and licking me when I've passed out due to lows. When my blood sugar becomes unstable my black lab won't leave me. She stays right by me because I fall. She lets me fall on her and pulls me up.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 AM

What a sweet furbaby to help Momma out with her health. Dogs have a sixth sense in a lot of areas. My dog knows when a storm is coming before I hear it. She hates storms.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 AM

my boxer has great sense of smell, I worry when she smells one area on me, when i first got polymayagia she would smell my hip area, which hurt themost. so interesting to me.