Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need advice regarding charity quilting group >

Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Need advice regarding charity quilting group

I need some advice, or insight.

Just this year I've joined a group of women at my church who make quilts for world relief. They have boxes and boxes of donated textiles that they're using. Over the years they've accepted pretty much anything: old curtains, sheets, blankets, mattress pads, napkins, pillowcases, you name it, it's in the boxes.

The quilt tops are just 8" squares patched together. Maybe the squares match, maybe they don't. It's about warmth, not looks. We layer a bottom, two layers of assorted textiles in the middle, and then the top, and the layers are tied. One of the women serges the edges, and that's it. We're talking really basic stuff here.

Those of us who sew the tops, are given a bag of the proper number of squares. My problem is... sometimes those squares are faded or stained. (With all those boxes of fabric to draw from, do we really need to use flawed fabric?)

And then I have a problem with what we're using for the "middles". We're not using batting, we're using ... the donated textiles. And this week the leader of the group had us use, for layer 1 of the middle, a couple of pillowcases, a napkin, a strip of cloth 8" x the length of the quilt, a few other assorted scraps... and these were not sewn together, just spread out on top of the backing. Layer 2 of the middle was a blanket that had holes all over it. Most of the holes were 1" or so, but one hole in the middle was 3", one edge was all chewed up, and there literally was not an 18" square section of it that didn't have holes. I asked the leader for permission to throw it out, and was told "No. We're going to use it. Right now!"

!!

I'm not a fabric snob, and I understand that we're trying to use what we have on hand. Reduce-reuse-recycle is an admirable concept.

Still - even in Bible days there was a town dump. And even today... seriously, some things are only fit to be thrown out. (For instance a blanket that's full of holes.)

Gee!

How do I handle this? I have a real problem with using trash for charity quilts. I'm the new kid on the block, and I've only been a member of this church for three years. Some of the ladies have been doing the quilt project for three decades or more. (I'm also the youngest member of the group, and I'm already graying!)

I would really like to say something at the next meeting, but I really don't know how to bring it up or just what to say. I suppose I should also say, that my church denonimation is probably one of the best (if not THE best) at adhering to the motto "We've always done it this way. And there's no reason to change now.)

Any suggestions? I'd like for us to create a better product. I'd also like to stay out of trouble.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 AM

You're right, you shouldn't be ashamed of the fabric that's being used. It's a charity quilt, but someone is going to be using it to warm themselves....stained or faded fabric, well there's just no excuse for that. I also belong to a quilt ministry. We started the group 6 years ago by asking for donated fabrics and the church gave the ministry a minimal yearly amount of money - $300 for batting and backing. We made the decision early on that we would buy muslin for the backing as we didn't want to waste what good fabric we had for the backing. When the boxes and bags started showing up at church....we went through them setting aside non-quilting fabric (upholstery, corduroy.....) to give to another ministry called "Bits and Pieces" in our area. It became quite evident that when a person decided that the bag of fabric was going to be donated....no one looked inside. We actually took one bag directly to the garbage as it had mold throughout. My thought on charity quilts is that you should be proud of what you made at the end of the day, knowing that you would be contributing to someone's self-worth when they received it. When we ran out of money for the ministry, we decided each month to host a pot-luck supper between us.....one person would cook and the rest would contribute $10 towards the ministry. I don't know how you're going to change the people's minds at your church, it's a shame that thrifty has become miserly.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM

I suspect that not all of the members of the group are ... uh... excessively thrifty. But the leader seems to be, and she has a very strong personality.

Last edited by Favorite Fabrics; 03-14-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain. Personally I would not make an issue of doing what we have always done. I don't send to charity what I would not use myself or give to a family member. I think I would do my own quilts with stash or scraps I had on hand. I'm Sure your could drum up batting, flannel, etc and backings and have a finished "gift" that you would feel proud of. I don't have a problem with tying the quilts either. It is a good way to complete a quilt quickly. Just my opinion but I would encourage the group and do my own thing. Just a thought
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 AM

A delicate situation, to say the least! I really don't have a answer for you but wanted to offer encouragement. Is this "leader" also the one who sorts the fabric? Maybe you could find a "co-conspirator" to delicately "lose" the really bad stuff????
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM

It seems you have more than one issue at play . Change of any kind will be tough , as they all have their "rolls" and "tradition" keeps them intrenched in those rolls. Particpating in preparing Church suppers are just as intrenched. It sounds like the "leader" has some issues with you even questioning the traditions of the past. My advise is if you stand solo on this issue , it will be "you" are the issue. Try to gather some informal support for your concerns, before bringing it up in a formal setting. Speak to some of the other members in a casual way and see if you can't get some support so you do not stand solo. If you can get some informal concensous then ask them how to proceed so it can be put into action. Getting the support of some long standing members will go far in effecting any kind of change.
I do wish you luck .. having some experience with these kinds of groups ... I know how hard it can be. It like they let you in because it the "charitible" thing to do ... but there is an expectation that you should keep quite and just sew.
Getting them sold on the idea of using "our best first" is one that many in that age group have a tough time with in their own homes. I was raised in a "save it for good" type home and the "right or best" occasion just never presented itself. That thinking or conditioning can be really hard to break.
You have my profound empathy.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM

What I don't understand is why people donate that sort of stuff in the first place?? If you can't use it or wear it because it is trash, no one else should have to either. Or is it just me!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM

It's not just you, Crqltr. I only give usable items to charity, the rest become rags or go into the trash.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

Could you have said, "I will supply my own batting for the quilt?" And then use some batting or a blanket without holes.

Or even take the holey blanket as if you were going to use it, then throw it out at your house and replace with something better. It will be in the middle of the quilt so who would see it?

And could you replace the stained squares with some from your stash?

I think if I was in this position I might retire quietly from this group and find another group with different standards that are more in line with my standards.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Maybe you could suggest using all the best stuff first, and if at some point you run low you could consider using the imperfect pieces...or those could be donated to an animal shelter to help other less fortunate creatures.

I think it's always a fine line comparing what we would accept for ourselves versus what someone with nothing would accept, but then again it's not very gracious to ask someone with nothing to accept what we ourselves find unacceptable. I think the lady in charge is not being very gracious, despite her no-doubt good intent...