Need quick advice

Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

I have 2 grandsons graduating this year in different towns. The schools try to schedule them on different nights,but it seems this time they might not be able to.Well,Im big enough to be two people but actually I am just one ,so I cant be two places at once. First idea was to draw straws.BUT it is hard for hubby and me to be out at night(neither of us can see to drive at night anymore).My idea is to stay home and have them both video taped(which they are doing anyway).This is the best solution I can come up with. Any ideas??
Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 AM

Sounds like a good solution. You can only be in one place at a time and this way you are safe at home and not showing favortism.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 AM

That sure is a practical answer. Would you be able to have a family only celebration? Could everyone meet in a convenient location after the grad.ceremonies?
Just a thought.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM
MTS
Banned

What are the parents going to do?

Maybe you and your husband could split up and each go with a parent (or aunt/uncle/cousin/other relative/other student's parent) who can also do the driving for you. Safety first.

I'm sure the kids understand the situation and what a kink it puts in the family planning.

The reason I say that is I just had a flash of one of my fondest memories - the day of my junior high school graduation.

We were all still sleeping in my house, and I hear the back door opening at, like, 7AM. And my grandmother, who never got up before 11AM, walked in.

Recently widowed, she had just started driving again after decades, and had never driven further by herself more than 10 miles from her home in the Bronx. And here she was, all dressed up, after driving an hour on multiple HIGHWAYS to come see me, her first grandchild, graduate.

We talked about that trip for decades.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Split up, each go to a different one.
Go to one graduation and the other's graduation party?

Sooo sad that they are going to be on the same night :(
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 AM

invite the boys to your house and draw straws short straw gets Grandpa long straw gets Grandma...parents can drive you to the ceremony, and home?

Hopefully the parents can have the parties on different days.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
That sure is a practical answer. Would you be able to have a family only celebration? Could everyone meet in a convenient location after the grad.ceremonies?
Just a thought.
- seems like there will be other family members in the same situation. If you had a family gathering soon after, both graduates could share highlights of their event & all family would be in attendance. A special celebration just to honor them - sounds like a plan!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
Sounds like a good solution. You can only be in one place at a time and this way you are safe at home and not showing favortism.
I thought the same thing. I think the safety issue is a big one. I'm sure your family doesn't want you out on the roads at night. You can always plan separate daytime activities later to celebrate with each graduate. That will certainly make each one feel special.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 AM

I think your solution sounds perfect.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

driving at night is difficult and should't be done. video and enjoy. everyone should understand. if they don't , they should offer to drive you. one could attend one ceremony and another attend the other. if driven!