Now I'm A Believer

Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Today, I decided to look up how much my Text Books would be via The Book Cellar (My schools book store... I like the play on words there)

I had heard that text books cost an arm and a leg... but I didn't quite believe it... not one bit... But now I'm a believer! My three books are going to cost over $200, and I don't even have them all yet, since one of my classes do not have a book yet, it's a new class for the school...

So I headed to amazon to see if the books I need are cheaper... and guess what... I can the three books for under 200, with one being used, which would be the work book...

Of course, If i go to the school I can get the books paid for with my financial aid... But still... thats a lot of money! If i get the other two used... I could pay even less... too...

All three books, used, come to 74.35 all in like new conditions 86.35 with shipping, and all used... and all cost under 32.00. I believe I know where I'm getting them...
Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM

you might also check betterworld.com. They often run deals on used textbooks
Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Just watch to make sure you are getting the correct edition . The book looks the same but there change things and then mark them 2nd, 3rd, 4th edition. I think they do it to make more money :wink: LOL And to cut down on the resell markets :shock:
Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 AM

The English book cover has changed with each edition... The Spanish book doesn't change with each new edition but the edition was correct... it's the work book I'm worried about... I may pay the 50.00 at the school to get that one... to be sure I have the right one... but I'm looking at other places that sell text books... and see if I can get a good deal...Especially since I may have to pay whole price for my last text book, if we even have one for that class.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM

That is wonderful. Every penny counts when you are going to school...good for you.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM

A long time ago, far far away in another galaxy, there were book re-sellers right across the street from the college. Does yours have anything like that?

Best of luck in school! It will be worth it.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 AM

I don't want to have to pay a fortune for the books, but if I need to I will... But I'm going to save money were I can...

The most expensive things I need to buy are:

Laptop
Mini Fridge
Text Books
Microsoft Office home and student

We were told that the computer labs are hard to get into, cause they are constantly packed, so we are better off just going with our own computer...

PLUS! The school gives us the option of ordering our sheets and other bedding through them... and the price for their largest package is pretty good, considering that if you purchased the stuff on that list at a store, you'd spend much much more... I did a study after I got the mailing! But I have till august 10th to order... so I hope I get the money for that... I'm working on it!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
A long time ago, far far away in another galaxy, there were book re-sellers right across the street from the college. Does yours have anything like that?

Best of luck in school! It will be worth it.
Our school doesn't have a reseller, but they do sell used books... but they are still expensive that way... but way cheaper than the new price...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I don't want to have to pay a fortune for the books, but if I need to I will... But I'm going to save money were I can...

The most expensive things I need to buy are:

Laptop
Mini Fridge
Text Books
Microsoft Office home and student

We were told that the computer labs are hard to get into, cause they are constantly packed, so we are better off just going with our own computer...

PLUS! The school gives us the option of ordering our sheets and other bedding through them... and the price for their largest package is pretty good, considering that if you purchased the stuff on that list at a store, you'd spend much much more... I did a study after I got the mailing! But I have till august 10th to order... so I hope I get the money for that... I'm working on it!
check the quality of the sheets and stuff - you can also look at thrift stores (we have one "Unique" - I think they're a chain) that sells bedding and housewears for pocket change. Occasionally they have some nice hand-made quilts for under 10 bucks. My friend is shopping for her son's first apartment there - silverware for 10 cents an item, dishes for 25 cents each, etc.

There is also a used college bookstore online that has good prices (I forget the name right now, sorry).
Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Pam

My son's school, Eastern Illinois RENTS books to the studends each semester! A flat fee, no matter how many books. What a novel concept, a school looking out for the student instead of trying to rip them off at the book store! Can you tell that over priced texts are my pet peeve?