Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Odd things family members say... >

Odd things family members say...

Odd things family members say...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM

My grandmother who was just awesome, not educated but awesome. She would say things like will you "hope" me do this, when she was taking clothes out to the line; another thing she was something like "wrench that out in the zinc" ! Even till the day she died she called the refrigerator the ice box because that was what she had known for so many years ! I remember as a very little girl she really did have an ice box; put a block of ice in the top and it would keep the rest of the "box" cold plus you had an ice pick and would break ice off the big block for iced tea !

SOMEDAY I'm sure that my children will be responding on chat blogs with stuff I say ! My youngest always makes fun of me when I saw Fire House, rather than fire station, UNTIL she saw a local publication that mentioned the city was honoring the firemen at the local Fire House ! So There !
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM

When my daughters where little they would call fly swatters fly slappers.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM

We have a lot of old sayings in our big family, ie:1. Busy as a cat on a sidewalk (can you see a cat digging it's potty spot on a sidewalk? that's Busy) 2. Happy as a pig in mud or a cat in a cream crock. 3. Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers. My kids remember all these from my Granny...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Oh, one I heard from my husband: "That would gag a maggot off the gut wagon." (Meaning very, very repulsive.)
And there really were gut wagons locally hauling refuse from a poultry processing plant.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 PM

I've had so much fun reading this thread...and laughing so hard my sides hurt!

When my kids were small and I'd ask them to do something, their response would be "Just a minute..." adn after so many times, mine would be "Just a minute, my foot!" Well, one day, my second DD turned the tables on me after I said the same thing when she asked for something..."Just a minute, my foot!" I couldn't get angry with her...I laughed so hard at myself...and was careful to be more patient.

On another note, my beloved late FIL, when he retired from the farm, had a nice 2 bedroom condom in the town he moved to. He was a dear man.