Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Mink Stole

I dunno, but you'll get lots of ideas here!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have read that there are women who will make these into teddy bears for you, but it's really pricey. I asked someone how much and they said $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I'm so glad you asked this since I have my mother's stole & don't know what to do with it. I'm having to thin things out around here but since her name is embroidered in it I just leave it in my closet for now. Hope great ideas come up.
    I made my DD a pillow with her DGM's stole. I put fur on top and used that wonderful satin liner which in hers was a beautiful brown with her name embroidered in gold on the back. This was over 20 years ago and my DD still uses it. PS, I remember it was not fun to sew but can't remember how really bad it was so it must have not been horrible! LOL and reminiscing.

i got one from an elderly lady at church for making into teddy bears. just use a simple bear pattern. i have numerous if you decide you want to do that. PM me and i'll scan and e-mail one to you. Can have with or without joints. i make jointed bears for the most part. i give the mink and mohair bears to older kids/teens. Kids who will use them for decoration, and luck versus cuddling

There are folks who make bears from stoles, but they are not cheap!

Several years ago I made my mother's mink stole into a teddy bear for her. I used the initial part of the lining for one of the paws. She loved it and several of her friends wanted me to make one for them. I explained that I would charge about $500 for it. It was horrible to sew on since it was the color of our cat and doing hand stitching through the skin part made me ill. I'd never do it again. She has since passed on and passed it to me.

An antique doll person would love it for dressing a doll up!!

I'd have it cleaned and restored (if needed) by a furrier and wear it when I went out anywhere dressy or whenever I felt like it. My grandmother had a mink stole and hat but my sister got those and let them get ruined.

Blog Entries
    what a great idea. If you had brothers or sisters one could be made for them also and given as a gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    A few years ago, in our area there was a class on turning a fur coat/stole into an heirloom teddy bear. You could ask at your LQS if they have nothing like that. I bet if you Googled it, you could find a tutorial on the net?

Since I was always in warm weather I researched and had a lady close to Peterborough Ont. make me 2 teddy bears and 1 cat mousie toy from my fur coat. I hope to live long enough to make child quilts to go with the bears for any future great grandchildren. Collecting bear fabric now as grandchildren are only teens. These bears are not really toys but sure are beautiful. Other areas have similar sewers as we had a relative in New Brunswick do it years ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast