30+ years ago , my sons and I, as a Christmas presents for their elem. sch. teachers, made chunky candles. Here's the tute:
1. Using a double boiler, melt old candles, paraffin, etc. but save a couple of the longest ones for the "wick".
2. Clean a discarded cardboard container (from milk/OJ) and cut it to size - about 4-6 inches high.
3. Hold the long candle in the center of the container and place ice cubes directly around the candle to fill the container.
4. Carefully pour the melted wax over the ice cubes until container is full.
5. Let cool several hours.
6. Pour out water (from melted ice) and tear off the cardboard.
This should result in a "lacy" network of wax with the old short candle in the middle for lighting. As a variation, you could also place old crayon stubs interspersed with the ice cubes for a more colored effect. Hope you enjoy this.