Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Pajama Days Since Retirement? >

Pajama Days Since Retirement?

Pajama Days Since Retirement?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 AM

I was just reading the topic about having a "pajama day". It occurred to me how much our lives have changed now that we are retired. Everyday is Pajama Day at our house! We are retired after years of getting up really early......feet to the floor for life's usual commitments, and a very active lifestyle.

DH has been retired for over 15 years. We are not lazy but we certainly enjoy a different lifestyle now. I sew dolls, and clothes for our great-grands (they live in another city), and learning to quilt. DH had a quad. bypass in Nov and does small wood carvings of Jesus on the cross to give away, and we like to watch in-depth news, and re-runs of Golden Girls, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. Many times we stay up very late......then sleep late. We stay in our jammies until around 1 or 2, at which time we shower and go out for breakfast/lunch/dinner all rolled into one. We may do some shopping (seems our car automatically stops at Jo-Ann fabrics) and then back home to change into really comfy clothes that we wouldn't dare go out in..........or perhaps jammies. Two days a week, we go out to dinner with our friends , (two other couples that we just love and consider them family) and once a week after dinner, we rotate between our three homes for coffee, dessert and 3 games of Yahtzee. We worship on Sunday too. DS is a pilot and gone a lot, but he and his sweet wife visit as often as they can, and we usually go out with them. DD and SIL live out of state, but comes when she can, and calls just about everyday.

I had spinal surgery a year ago, can't do a lot, so we are blessed to have a cleaning lady two hours a week, and a gardener once a week. We certainly aren't wealthy, we enjoy life but choose to live rather frugally......choosing to have some help with things we can no longer do ourselves.

We avoid appointments like the plague, and if we must have an appointment, we try to make it for later in the day.

So I say "YEAH for pajama days" and "YEAH for the retirement years".
Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

MY life, you're living my life!!!
Ain't it grand?! :D

Jan in VA
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
MY life, you're living my life!!!
Ain't it grand?! :D

Jan in VA
Oh, thanks for your reply........I'm so glad that we aren't the only ones so "laid back". I second your comment..."ain't it grand" !!!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 AM

i have PJ days with my 3 year old grandson on fridays. then before his dad comes to pick him up, we laugh as we get dressed before he gets here!
we paint or do puzzles..play games. although i am medically retired, it is wonderful.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:36 AM

Looking forward to Pajama Days when I retire in two months.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
I was just reading the topic about having a "pajama day". It occurred to me how much our lives have changed now that we are retired. Everyday is Pajama Day at our house! We are retired after years of getting up really early......feet to the floor for life's usual commitments, and a very active lifestyle.

DH has been retired for over 15 years. We are not lazy but we certainly enjoy a different lifestyle now. I sew dolls, and clothes for our great-grands (they live in another city), and learning to quilt. DH had a quad. bypass in Nov and does small wood carvings of Jesus on the cross to give away, and we like to watch in-depth news, and re-runs of Golden Girls, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. Many times we stay up very late......then sleep late. We stay in our jammies until around 1 or 2, at which time we shower and go out for breakfast/lunch/dinner all rolled into one. We may do some shopping (seems our car automatically stops at Jo-Ann fabrics) and then back home to change into really comfy clothes that we wouldn't dare go out in..........or perhaps jammies. Two days a week, we go out to dinner with our friends , (two other couples that we just love and consider them family) and once a week after dinner, we rotate between our three homes for coffee, dessert and 3 games of Yahtzee. We worship on Sunday too. DS is a pilot and gone a lot, but he and his sweet wife visit as often as they can, and we usually go out with them. DD and SIL live out of state, but comes when she can, and calls just about everyday.

I had spinal surgery a year ago, can't do a lot, so we are blessed to have a cleaning lady two hours a week, and a gardener once a week. We certainly aren't wealthy, we enjoy life but choose to live rather frugally......choosing to have some help with things we can no longer do ourselves.

We avoid appointments like the plague, and if we must have an appointment, we try to make it for later in the day.

So I say "YEAH for pajama days" and "YEAH for the retirement years".
WONDERFUL. That's what retirement is all about. I just love it after getting up at 5.30 every morning for work.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 AM

I have been retired for a number of years, but still get up early and go to bed early. The best part of the day is in the morning. I find if I hang out in my pjs I get nothing done. I clean when I want, and sew as much as I can. My kids all live within 10 minutes of me, and I still don't see them often. My DDIL keeps in touch via e-mail. The rest of them just go on with their busy lives. My DNDN (dear next door neighbor) keeps in touch. She has young kids and is very busy but still has time to check in on me. Sometimes I sleep in till 7. The dogs usually wake me up at 5:30. Then we are in bed at night around 9, read till 10 or so then lights out. It is nice to be able to do what you want when you want.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 AM

I love jammie days. There's only one problem with jammie days, however. You can't change into your jammies at the end of the day! :P
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 AM

My husband retired in 97 and I followed in 99. We both worked for the Feds. He took normal retirement working 34 yrs age 55 but I lucked out with Early out any age with mandatory 25 yrs, at that pt I had 26 yrs. I was a bit afraid since I'd worked since age 17 with them, having the type of personality that needs to be doing something all the time. DH said "trust me 10 mins out the door and you won't regret it"...He was right.
For 26 yrs we drove a round trip of 80 per day to work, got up at 5 to leave by 6. He has always been a morning person, me not so much. But now I love the mornings get up at 5 everyday, drink my coffee and relax.
We also bought our dream lake hse in RI as a second home so we spend 2 wks there and 2 wks in our main home every mth.
I took up quilting in 07 when I bought my first embroidery/sewing machine. We enjoy the quiet and are not into going out and abt or having too many visitors and like it that way. So life is good and work seems like a distant memory that you really can't imagine you did for all those yrs. And yes, some Sundays it's PJ's all day...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
I love jammie days. There's only one problem with jammie days, however. You can't change into your jammies at the end of the day! :P
No, you just climb into bed! I love jammie days!