Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Post Office flat rate envelope alert >

Post Office flat rate envelope alert

Post Office flat rate envelope alert

Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
there is a big difference between this and "the envelope is flat." I bet I could put a baseball in a FRE and still get it to close with the adhesive.

Very interesting read here
http://www.micromerchantgazette.com/..._Envelopes.php

"When sealing a Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds."

"Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container, provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way." Flaps -- like the flap you close.

I have been known to print out pertinent portions of the DMM and keep them in my purse to show to PO clerks if they give me a hard time.
PTQuilts is correct -- the PO rules are as quoted. We ship dozens of FRE's every week, and all of them are secured with an extra piece of tape or three to further secure the seams.

The rule is that you can't modify the envelope - you have to be able to fold the flap over normally. A little creative folding on your fabric, and not trying to stuff too much into a FRE will ensure success every time.

Our local Postmaster is the regional trainer for new postmasters, and is the one who informs us on the rules.

Your local counter person needs education...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 AM

This is a bummer to hear. I shipped in a flat-rate envelope once without tape and the glue let loose. Luckily, I had more product to ship my customer. I have 8 3/4 yds in a flat-rate to ship today. We'll see what happens.....
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
PTQuilts is correct -- the PO rules are as quoted. We ship dozens of FRE's every week, and all of them are secured with an extra piece of tape or three to further secure the seams.

The rule is that you can't modify the envelope - you have to be able to fold the flap over normally. A little creative folding on your fabric, and not trying to stuff too much into a FRE will ensure success every time.

Our local Postmaster is the regional trainer for new postmasters, and is the one who informs us on the rules.

Your local counter person needs education...
I thought that part was "odd" because my postal person always adds tape if I have forgotten....
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM

I'm in the countryside and have 3 post offices within 3 miles, 2 of them within a mile of each other! My sister retired from the USPS 2 years ago, and was stressed to the max with all the foolishness. I participate in a few swaps and have found the service is quite variable. One clerk insisted it was cheaper to put my squares in a priority envelope when I already had them in an addressed tyvek one- It wasn't! Another always offers to tape the Priority flap for me if I forgot to take my tape in. Another clerk insisted the priority envelope is only for papers- Not True! Inconsistent service is frustrating, but it seems some of the Post Office clerks have had poor training. The USPS does subcontract with UPS and Fed Ex for distance travel.