Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Post Office flat rate envelope alert >

Post Office flat rate envelope alert

Post Office flat rate envelope alert

Old 10-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Maybe it's time we all spoke up and when they tell something like no tape etc., ask to see the rules of the post office and where it says you can't do that. I think sometimes we are much too passive when people tell us things that border on ridiculous. The fact that different post offices do not follow the same rules, tells me that maybe it's not in the rules at all, but just an interpretation by different people. Besides how many packages haven't you received that the post office has mutilated that maybe some tape would have helped!

Also a lot of time the Priority Mail doesn't get there any faster then the regular mail and you are paying the extra for it. I have shipped things Priority Mail and regular mail to the same address and the regular mail beat the Priority Mail that I paid the extra for.

Yes Congress straps the post office, but the post office has some gross mistakes and waste on their own too. It's like, "Oh well, we will put in for a rate increase".

All in all we are a pretty complacent society on a lot of important things.

My two cents for the day, be it good or bad!

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Just a heads up to all who use the flat rate envelope to ship fabric. I just went to the post office, and was informed that my flat rate envelope was now $9.85 even though it was in the $5.15 flat rate envelope. I was informed that because I had used tape to close the envelope it was no longer "a flat rate". I had 4 1/2 yards of fabric and had shipped this , like this many many times before. I was also informed that they are cracking down on the use of the priority flat rate envelopes.... any tape to close or seal... and regular priority rates will be charged. I expained that I had used tape as I did not trust the glue to hold ... they said "if the glue on the envelope will not hold or I do not trust it to hold" ... its no longer flat rate.
I guess "if it fits, it ships " has new rules. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

yep i stopped paying for priority mail long ago. they lie!! it takes for ever to get things to Texas.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
.... it takes for ever to get things to Texas.
That's because Texas is so big!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 AM

I have received pkgs that have been sent UPS and then through the PO . There are sometimes I don't get the pkg in a timely manner. I order supplements by mail and have had to reorder at least once. Packages get lost . We have a mailman that doesn't like to get out of the truck to put packages on the porch so stuffs them in the mailbox. We have one of the ones that lock so where he can put the mail in is very small.
That being said I do ship packages by USPS simply because for me its cheaper than UPS or FedEX . I do it online and have never had a problem. Most times I don't use flat rate because I can send by priority by weight cheaper. I use my own envelopes and boxes for the most part or the not flat rate boxes the PO has. Rarely is flat rate cheaper. And if they are going up again!!
And the taping on of the label to make sure things are sealed is exactly what I do for the most part.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM

3 words

Double Sided Scotchtape
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Have to say I love our USPS and UPS carriers, out here. We live in rural Texas.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Momo View Post
The local post office told me I could not ship anything in the flat rate envelope if it was no longer flat! So I had to pay the regular postage rate.
So I used my own envelope purchased at Wal-Mart.
This is so WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! If it fits, it ships, to quote the PO ads. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
This is so WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! If it fits, it ships, to quote the PO ads. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
I actually did speak to a supervisor... who took great pleasure in showing me on the envelope it states
"Any amount of mailable material may be enclosed, as long as the envelope is not modified , and the contents are entirely confined within the envelope with the adhesive provided as the means of closure".
Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM

I guess it's ok if they tape it shut but we can't. It's getting to much to mail things out to bad because it takes the joy out of the holidays also when you want to ship to family and friends. I have an afghan to ship to my daughter and I'm trying to figure who would be cheaper. It seems to me if prices were cheaper people would ship things. They hurt themselves. Sue
Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM

I just want to point out that cardboard Flat Rate Priority envelopes are designed for paper, not other items, and are sorted on special large envelope sorting machines. When these envelopes are overstuffed or uneven, they get jammed in the sorting equipment and may be damaged. For bulky items, it is better to use the Flat Rate bubble envelope or a box. When items are excessively taped, they get stuck in the high-speed sorting equipment.

If you have an issue with a window clerk arbitrarily refusing your packaging, ask politely to speak to their supervisor or the Postmaster. When I worked as a window clerk, most customers with issues were sent to my window already wound up and screaming. I know long lines are frustrating, but it is demoralizing to be yelled at all day long. A lot of the problem are customers who show up with their mail completely unprepared. We always put them to the side and had them prepare the mail themselves.