Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: power outage

power outage

got up this morning to no power.I did lots of dusting and sorting of fabric.House was very quiet.The only thing I was worried about was the fish-but power came back on at 12:30 our time and all is good and I have the internet again-woo hoo.House was cool since the water for the boiler does not circulate without power-but sweatshirt and long johns took care of that.I found fabric I forgot I had,lol.What do you do for entertainment home alone with no power?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Just enjoy the quiet time and do what you like best. It is soothing for the mind.

That's when you sew on a treadle machine. Take a legal nap. Cook on the gas stove. Just sit and meditate. Hugs

I go around unplugging electronics even though they are all on surge protectors. If it is daylight we usually go outside and work. If the power goes out at sunset we set out oil lamps and some battery operated light and sit and read.
    I have to dust at least once a day regardless if I do a major cleaning because of allergies.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

We eliminated power outages by having a propane-powered backup generator installed. When the power goes out we only have about 15 seconds of darkness and then everything comes back on for as long as we need it.
    Miss Rita

Blog Entries
    Doing just what you did. Clean up, organize, plan, cut fabric, use my treadle. You got to get a treadle!

As far as your fish are concerned, depending on what you have. Tropical, semi Trop or fresh water. My larger than hand size gold fish made it 9 days without filtering two years ago and last year they went for a week without power too. We loose power more than average and know to keep a good supply of the stuff we need on hand.
    I just kept replacing water every day. GF are very sturdy and can withstand a bit of "stress".
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Power Poster
    sounds like you made good use of the time good for you!!glad you got your power back on!
    QUILTNMO

If our power goes out during the day, I use daylight to do whatever I can do. Taking a nap would be a good thing.
    Our electric usually goes out during storms and no much anymore. We have a back up generator. Good insurance, only used it once. Hard telling how many times we might have lost power if we had not bought it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Last time that happened on a winter day, I crawled back in bed under the quilts and read! Yummy!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    I think it is funny how lost I feel without power, makes me think about other things we take for granted. The last long duration outage we had was on a morning that we had a very heavy deep snowfall. Hubby stayed in bed those additional 5 hours of daylight, I had my standard dog, cat and horse chores then spent a lot of time taking pictures of the beauty of our property and animals in the heavy snow. I used one of the pictures of the snow blanketing the horse paddock and barn - before I let the horses out - on our Christmas card that year. It was so indicative of God's presence, peace and beauty at daybreak.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast