power outage

Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 AM

If our children are home from school, we play board or card games. If not, I guess I'd assume it was God's way of telling me to clean too! Or walk the dog if it was morning or evening.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

The first ice storm we had when we moved here, we were out of power for two weeks. I was okay for the first few days, after that I was getting depressed, couldn't go anywhere the roads were too icy. All the houses on our road had power. Found out they all had the house generators installed. Looks like a compressor unit. After that DH had the generator unit installed so when the power goes out it comes on automatically. We have wood heat so heating isn't a problem, the insert heats the main part of the house.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 AM

When our power goes out, and put a comforter over or 55 gallon fish tank to keep it insulated. Works for a long time.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Ours does not go out often, read, threadle, cut fabric, sort fabric, if daylight. Always the option of sleeping day or night.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Our power goes out regularly in Winter, so I have books to read and closets to clean and my fabric to organize. Keeps me busy
Old 11-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Power goes out frequently up here (I say when someone sneezes or pulls on the extension cord to the next town). We are never without power for more than a few minutes now...we have an 8000 watt generator that we start up when the power goes down. One of the best investments we ever made. Has a key start (like a car), so even I can start it up.

Anita
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Power goes out frequently up here (I say when someone sneezes or pulls on the extension cord to the next town). We are never without power for more than a few minutes now...we have an 8000 watt generator that we start up when the power goes down. One of the best investments we ever made. Has a key start (like a car), so even I can start it up.

Anita
We did that too!! In January 2009 the entire state of Kentucky was hit with an ice storm. We went without electricity for eight days. That was horrible! DH had electricity at his job so I went to his office, a construction site, and spent time there just hanging on the computer reading news. I also washed my hair there! I showered at home, but couldn't wash my hair, no way to dry it.

We lost electricity for days when we had bad storms in 2006, 2007, in 2008 hurricane Ike came through and we were without electricity for six days then. That was in fall so the weather was okay. But that January/February of no electricity, no heat was unbearable. DH & I invested in a stand alone generator that cost about $6000. It comes on automatically. We have lost power a few times for several hours but not for days.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
DJ

We lost power for a few hours Saturday morning. I ended up knitting. Could have read or napped.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM

one year ago, Sandy hit the Jersey shore and our area was without power for 11 days. Our town was shut down to all outsiders and only one road used for entering & exiting the town……one had to show ID before being allowed into the town.
My husband is on a CPac machine for sleep apnea so we traveled from one son to another son until they lost power also. Our daughter finally found us a hotel room about 60 miles away……and the end of our powerless journey was spent in Atlantic City….why didn't we go there in the first place !!!!…..lololol
We had a Whole House generator delivered last week and are now waiting for hook-up.
Kids are all waiting for party time at mom & dad's when the lights go out again………..
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 AM

Worst power outage that I know of, hit New England on December 11, 2008 (my 10th wedding anniversary!). We were without power for 14 days, no telephone for over 3 weeks. Thank goodness we had our generator before this. It took us 8 hours to chain saw our way out to the road from the house! Burned out one chain saw in the process of cutting the downed trees.

Anita