Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody else an outage widow? >

Anybody else an outage widow?

Anybody else an outage widow?

Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 AM

you are if you know what I'm talking about! This (and fall) are dh's busy times. He does repairs at power plants and such. He left yesterday morning and will be gone a week, then come in long enough to sleep and wash clothes and be gone again. He'll be working anywhere from 12-16 hour days. As much as we need the $ I still hate it. But he's done this all our lives so I am used to it. So I take this time to quilt and do things with the kids. They get to take turns sleeping with mom...they sleep wonderfully...mom not quite as good ;-). Even the 14yo lines up for her turn! And we watch movies till late at night and just cut up. I also get lots of quilting done in this time. Gotta keep myself busy!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:14 AM

think 'work widow' is more my title. but it's a way of life for us now in this day & age. I get to see my dh maybe an hour & a half a night after he gets home, we eat, read the newspaper, watch the news, gets his clothes ready for the next day & then off to bed! Thank God for computers!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 AM

I'm a "work widow" all winter, as hubby drives a county plow truck.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 AM

Oh, my husband was a salesman for a big pharmacutical (? hmm - now I can't even spell it) company, and covered 7 states. He would leave town on Monday morning and get home late on Friday night. We did that for over 20 years. Now we are retired except for some occasional part time work, and we are really enjoying it. We sure used to pack a lot of fun into weekends. It created a lot of fond memories, but I am sure glad those days are over.

Originally Posted by ginnie6
you are if you know what I'm talking about! This (and fall) are dh's busy times. He does repairs at power plants and such. He left yesterday morning and will be gone a week, then come in long enough to sleep and wash clothes and be gone again. He'll be working anywhere from 12-16 hour days. As much as we need the $ I still hate it. But he's done this all our lives so I am used to it. So I take this time to quilt and do things with the kids. They get to take turns sleeping with mom...they sleep wonderfully...mom not quite as good ;-). Even the 14yo lines up for her turn! And we watch movies till late at night and just cut up. I also get lots of quilting done in this time. Gotta keep myself busy!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

When I was little before my Father started having surgeries, he worked nights at the sugar factory and we took turns sleeping with Mommy.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM

I have a friend that goes through that too....
Just look @ the memories you are making with your children. If they are waiting thier turn????? That says it ALL, You are making the best of the situation and the kids love you for it...
how lucky are you...... :thumbup:
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Work widow. He works 7 days/week most weeks. I suspect had the weather been more conducive to working in the garden he would have stayed home and done that (mostly because *I* did it yesterday and now he's feeling both guilty and deprived :) ). Normally we would be in our off season now, but we're still getting orders so off to work he goes.