Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aluminum foil reuse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aluminum-foil-reuse-t210549.html)

Central Ohio Quilter 01-09-2013 01:57 PM

I also do not use foil much anymore, but when I do, I will wash and reuse it if it is not too badly soiled. I usually use it for meat on the grill now, and I do not reuse it after that. I do wash out plastic bags for reuse. My kids would not think of washing and reusing foil or plastic bags.

Stitchnripper 01-09-2013 02:00 PM

Thinking about it, I only use it to line a broiler/roaster pan and then it is too far gone to reuse. When I was a kid, my grandma would give us a piece of aluminum foil and a piece of Saran wrap and for some reason we could amuse ourselves almost the entire day with them.

Jingle 01-09-2013 02:14 PM

I mainly use the no stick foil and I only use it once. I'm not much into recycling. I grew up in the 50s. My Mom grew up in 1914 and lived on a farm. She saved bread sacks, christmas wrapping paper and everything else at the time. I don't do any of that. I live in a small house and keep it clean. I don't have room for trash.

QultingaddictUK 01-09-2013 02:18 PM

I reuse it in a great way, well I think so anyway, I wipe it clean, fold it up and when my Rotary blade starts losing it's edge I cut the foil up with the cutter and hey presto a longer lasting blade.

Being a retired Chef I don't reuse it for food use, not hygienic however much you think you have cleaned it, sorry.

nivosum 01-09-2013 02:32 PM

I reuse it to wrap the cheese in. First I wrap the cheese in wax paper and then in the aluminum foil. The cheese seems to last longer. By the time I have opened the cheese a number of times the cheese is gone and the foil is ready to be thrown in the recycle bin.

BellaBoo 01-09-2013 03:56 PM

I don't reuse foil or plastic storage bags. That stuff to me is for one time use like disposable cups, plates and plastic flatware.

BellaBoo 01-09-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5774436)
I mainly use the no stick foil and I only use it once. I don't do any of that. I don't have room for trash.

Yeah, my twin!

Peckish 01-09-2013 04:00 PM

I don't reuse foil because I don't use it very often. I pretty much only use it for meat.

My grandparents lived through the Depression. My grandmother washes plastic silverware and Ziplock bags and will reuse them, no matter what they've been in contact with. She also will run her dishwasher on the rinse cycle only, with a little soap thrown in, to save money on water and electricity. I'm scared somebody is going to get sick at her house someday.

When I was growing up, my dad insisted we use only 4 sheets of toilet paper per bathroom visit. I absolutely ignored this, especially after I started menstruating.

As someone else said, life is too short and hospitals are too expensive.

BellaBoo 01-09-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5774436)
I mainly use the no stick foil and I only use it once. I'm not much into recycling. I grew up in the 50s. My Mom grew up in 1914 and lived on a farm. She saved bread sacks, christmas wrapping paper and everything else at the time. I don't do any of that. I live in a small house and keep it clean. I don't have room for trash.

My thoughts exactly!

BellaBoo 01-09-2013 04:26 PM

If I have to live through a depression then I'll learn to reuse and make do just as my grandparents did. They had to learn at some point. No use getting hung up on saving everything just because you have it.