Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   anybody else out there who runs and quilts?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anybody-else-out-there-who-runs-quilts-t84675.html)

Lystra 12-23-2010 03:59 AM

Hey guys, I'm a runner (albeit a slow one) who has been faithful for many years now.....I just do one race a year but excercise mainly to keep my weight down....married to a triathlete....Just found quilting this year...the 2 don't seem to go together and I get all kinds of comments from friend and relatives...disbelief about the quilting b/c I also love clothes and the mall! Just wondering if anyone else out there works out regularly.... I do some type of workout at least 4-5 times a week.....what about everyone else?

mollymct 12-23-2010 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lystra
Hey guys, I'm a runner (albeit a slow one) who has been faithful for many years now.....I just do one race a year but excercise mainly to keep my weight down....married to a triathlete....Just found quilting this year...the 2 don't seem to go together and I get all kinds of comments from friend and relatives...disbelief about the quilting b/c I also love clothes and the mall! Just wondering if anyone else out there works out regularly.... I do some type of workout at least 4-5 times a week.....what about everyone else?

Well, I've been slacking the last few weeks, but usually I do try to workout most days of the week. I'm not a runner... yet, though I aspire to be. Right now, I just run in short intervals. Have had a lot of trouble with pain in my left leg, so I'm reading about and trying the POSE method. I'd love to do at least a 5K in 2011. I also have just begun quilting this year! I have been knitting a few years and I get all sorts of comments also, because no one else I know plays with string and fabric!

leatheflea 12-23-2010 04:45 AM

Until I moved to the country a little over a year ago I rode my bike everyday. I'm scared of the roads out here. People drive all over the place. I put on about 10lbs of fat. I refuse to buy bigger cloths so sometings gonna have to give and it might just be the seams in my pants.

gypsyquilter 12-23-2010 04:46 AM

Hey there Lystra,

I'm a returning runner, did cross country in high school many many moons ago could pound out 12 miles without blinking. then life came along and things changed -) I need a better way to have exercise readily available, and I hate paying for a gym membership, so bought me a new pair of running shoes and I'm hitting the pavement. I also love Yoga, but the class schedule just doesn't always work. did my first 5K a great weeks ago, I finished, didn't run the while way, but I did finish (and not last, yay!), trying to get better for the next one. I've been quilting for 20 plus years, and am now taking a return to photography as well. My kids are older now, so I've more free time for me and the hubby.

I believe if you love something, you'll find the time for it, even if jus a few minutes a day.

happy trails!

LeeAnn 12-23-2010 04:51 AM

I only run to the kitchen table. lol

Lacelady 12-23-2010 04:54 AM

Running, what's running???? I don't think I have done any of that since I left school, and I didn't do much of it when I was there either.

twospoiledhuskies 12-23-2010 04:58 AM

I get that too. All my friends are "What you quilt"???? Even though I'm 54 in spring/summer a average 80/100 miles a month hiking in the mountains. Also kayak, white water raft, bike, snowshoe. I have a tandum harness and run with my huskies. I do 90% of my quilting in the winter. I've had horses most my life and work with different organizations as well as dog and wolf rescues.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!!

cjomomma 12-23-2010 06:07 AM

I run all the time. I run to the grocery store, I run to the post office, I run to the thrift shops, I run across town to visit my folks and I run to the bathroom sometimes. I run after my 4yr. old, I even been known to run down the street chasing one of teenagers because they thought they could out run this fat old lady. I do so much running I don't know how I ever get any quilting done. Oh wait you dont mean that kind of running!! LOL!!

clem55 12-23-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I run all the time. I run to the grocery store, I run to the post office, I run to the thrift shops, I run across town to visit my folks and I run to the bathroom sometimes. I run after my 4yr. old, I even been known to run down the street chasing one of teenagers because they thought they could out run this fat old lady. I do so much running I don't know how I ever get any quilting done. Oh wait you dont mean that kind of running!! LOL!!

I loved your answer!! I'm doing good to walk anymore, but when I see others out jogging or walking, I sure wish I could also. I miss walking!! And dancing!!

maryb119 12-23-2010 06:47 AM

My DH is a runner and I'm a quilter. It works well for us.