Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anybody else out there who runs and quilts??

Hey guys, I'm a runner (albeit a slow one) who has been faithful for many years now.....I just do one race a year but excercise mainly to keep my weight down....married to a triathlete....Just found quilting this year...the 2 don't seem to go together and I get all kinds of comments from friend and relatives...disbelief about the quilting b/c I also love clothes and the mall! Just wondering if anyone else out there works out regularly.... I do some type of workout at least 4-5 times a week.....what about everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Lystra
    Hey guys, I'm a runner (albeit a slow one) who has been faithful for many years now.....I just do one race a year but excercise mainly to keep my weight down....married to a triathlete....Just found quilting this year...the 2 don't seem to go together and I get all kinds of comments from friend and relatives...disbelief about the quilting b/c I also love clothes and the mall! Just wondering if anyone else out there works out regularly.... I do some type of workout at least 4-5 times a week.....what about everyone else?
    Well, I've been slacking the last few weeks, but usually I do try to workout most days of the week. I'm not a runner... yet, though I aspire to be. Right now, I just run in short intervals. Have had a lot of trouble with pain in my left leg, so I'm reading about and trying the POSE method. I'd love to do at least a 5K in 2011. I also have just begun quilting this year! I have been knitting a few years and I get all sorts of comments also, because no one else I know plays with string and fabric!

Until I moved to the country a little over a year ago I rode my bike everyday. I'm scared of the roads out here. People drive all over the place. I put on about 10lbs of fat. I refuse to buy bigger cloths so sometings gonna have to give and it might just be the seams in my pants.

Hey there Lystra,

I'm a returning runner, did cross country in high school many many moons ago could pound out 12 miles without blinking. then life came along and things changed -) I need a better way to have exercise readily available, and I hate paying for a gym membership, so bought me a new pair of running shoes and I'm hitting the pavement. I also love Yoga, but the class schedule just doesn't always work. did my first 5K a great weeks ago, I finished, didn't run the while way, but I did finish (and not last, yay!), trying to get better for the next one. I've been quilting for 20 plus years, and am now taking a return to photography as well. My kids are older now, so I've more free time for me and the hubby.

I believe if you love something, you'll find the time for it, even if jus a few minutes a day.

happy trails!

I only run to the kitchen table. lol

Blog Entries
    Running, what's running???? I don't think I have done any of that since I left school, and I didn't do much of it when I was there either.

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    I get that too. All my friends are "What you quilt"???? Even though I'm 54 in spring/summer a average 80/100 miles a month hiking in the mountains. Also kayak, white water raft, bike, snowshoe. I have a tandum harness and run with my huskies. I do 90% of my quilting in the winter. I've had horses most my life and work with different organizations as well as dog and wolf rescues.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I run all the time. I run to the grocery store, I run to the post office, I run to the thrift shops, I run across town to visit my folks and I run to the bathroom sometimes. I run after my 4yr. old, I even been known to run down the street chasing one of teenagers because they thought they could out run this fat old lady. I do so much running I don't know how I ever get any quilting done. Oh wait you dont mean that kind of running!! LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I run all the time. I run to the grocery store, I run to the post office, I run to the thrift shops, I run across town to visit my folks and I run to the bathroom sometimes. I run after my 4yr. old, I even been known to run down the street chasing one of teenagers because they thought they could out run this fat old lady. I do so much running I don't know how I ever get any quilting done. Oh wait you dont mean that kind of running!! LOL!!
    I loved your answer!! I'm doing good to walk anymore, but when I see others out jogging or walking, I sure wish I could also. I miss walking!! And dancing!!

My DH is a runner and I'm a quilter. It works well for us.

I fell off the exercise wagon this year, but with good reason - cleaning out my ex from my house. I plan on losing a bit of weight this next year. :)

Keep up with the running & quilting - just not at the same time....

Don't run but walk/run 3 miles a day.Enough for a old lady like me.

I used to run 5 miles every day. Right now I am lucky if I walk 2-3 days a week. Among my many New Years resolutions will be to walk a minimum of 5 days a week. Running doesn't seem to be in the cards anymore......sigh.

I like to walk 2 miles a day, but this cold weather has kept me in these last few weeks. Hope I can start back in January. Last year the weather did not slow me down, but for some reason the cold has really gotten to me this year.

I used to run 4 miles a day until my knees started bothering me. Now I walk it instead - it just takes longer!

Husband walks 4 miles each day without fail. I'm not quite that dedicated but go to exercise class for hour every Tues and Fri mornings.

I've been a faithful exercise nut for most of my life. I exercise 5 or 6 days a week. Three days at the gym with weights and eliptical and 2 or 3 days with a 4 to 5 mile walk. I love it!

Just bought a new pair of walking shoes..New year's goal is to walk off the 20 lbs that snuck up on me..literaly. Quilt after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lystra
    I do 5 different stretch and bend aerobic exercises early in the morning, then I ride the recumbent bicycle for 30 minutes, about 8 miles, then I sometimes get on the Wii Fit and do about 20 minutes of different aerobic/balancing exercises. I think this is tremendously helpful with managing my RA.

[quote=cjomomma]I run all the time. I run to the grocery store, I run to the post office, I run to the thrift shops, I run across town to visit my folks and I run to the bathroom sometimes. I run after my 4yr. old, I even been known to run down the street chasing one of teenagers because they thought they could out run this fat old lady. I do so much running I don't know how I ever get any quilting done. Oh wait you dont mean that kind of running!! LOL!![/

cjomomma, you r so funny :thumbup: :lol: :lol: I love this one for sure. I think all of us fit this same catagory. :lol:

I do aerobic exercises every day, walk at least three miles a day (weather permitting) and quilt

I am both a wannabe and a used-to-be runner. Learned earlier this year that my r knee has osteoarthritis and I have to lose 40# before I try again.

Wish I could burn as many calories quilting as I did running! Don't 'spose there is a weight-loss-while-you-quilt-challenge for the new year?

Blog Entries
    I've never been a runner, but I do go to Curves 3-4 times a week and in the nicer weather I walk. I'll be 70 in a few weeks and I refuse to get "old"! :idea:

I used to run a lot, then changed to a combination of running, biking, walking and weight training six days a week for years. About 2 years ago, I got a huge new job and just didn't have time. I am just now feeling like I am getting my head above water in this new position and have most of the right people in place to take some of the burden off me, so it's back to the gym for me.

Once I'm in the habit, I'm pretty faithful to my routine.

Blog Entries
    I was waling 2-1/2 miles dailly until the back
    messed up in October. Will be back to it agan
    soon.
    I live in Duncan, SC.
    J J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast