Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crazy poinsettia....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crazy-poinsettia-t206535.html)

jenny Line 11-21-2012 08:34 AM

Your Christmas cactus is beautiful! I have one that is the same color but it is much smaller. I love flowers especially in the winter!

Hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jenny :)

MaggieLou 11-21-2012 08:36 AM

I wish I could get mine to do that. Where do you keep yours? I have to keep mine where the kitties don't eat it.

squires1042 11-21-2012 12:00 PM

I have about 8 of them varying ages. Each time a piece breaks off I stick in the dirt and voila' I have yet another one. Most of them are in bloom right not and usually bloom twice a year. I find that when I forget to water and they get very dry and then I remember to water them. A few weeks later they start budding out. I have all colors, white, white with pink, red, peach, pink. Only one I don't have is the yellow one. Haven't had any luck getting them going.

squires1042 11-21-2012 12:01 PM

Oh and they seem to do best in the window on the west side of the house. When I move them elsewhere they don't like it.

mandyrose 11-21-2012 01:15 PM

Oh my such beautiful plants wish i could raise plants I bought 6 plants this past summer and only 2 left.....No green thumb here lol

Corksews 11-21-2012 03:51 PM

I think what you have is a Thanksgiving Cactus. The Christmas Cactus has a leaf that is more crab claw shape. The pals are very much alike.

COYOTEMAGIC 11-21-2012 04:03 PM

My Ma has a "Christmas in July" Cactus. Blooms ever July like clockwork.

Annieflower 11-21-2012 04:29 PM

How simply gorgeous. I live in Ohio and a friend sent me a two leaves from Texas two years ago. I planted them in soil and they weren't doing too well. I put the little cuttings outside in the sun during the summer and when I brought the plant inside I had a bloom in Oct. It's ready to bloom one little flower again. How amazing and one day it may be as bright and pretty as yours. You definitly have a good thumb. I am buying another one too!!!! Annie :o

cactusmomma 11-21-2012 06:17 PM

Wow. I didn't know they got that big. That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. All your plants look great. You must really have a green thumb.

raksmum 11-21-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sewfine (Post 5671259)
Oh! how beautiful. I have had one for eight years and it has never bloomed. What's your secret?

Hang in there! I had one that didn't bloom for 7 years before it decided to bloom one Christmas. It bloomed for 5 years straight, always at Christmas. Then it decided not to bloom again for 2 years and decided to bloom again last February. I see that it has buds on it now so will bloom in the near future I guess. They are funny plants and seem to do what they want to.