Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hot Flash RX (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-flash-rx-t159501.html)

alikat110 10-10-2011 06:29 PM

I started early menopause this year. Black Cohash works for me....over the counter supplement!!!

crafty3236 10-10-2011 06:40 PM

I think that is what im having, but my body isnt on fire but OMG do I sweat, dont have to do much either, have drs app on fri does it sound to you like hot flashes?thank you

Tink's Mom 10-10-2011 06:45 PM

Nothing really works...but a ceiling fan for the night sweats is a bonus.
I have fanned myself with the freezer door while my head was in the freezer....works, but you get very strange looks from family.

Mariposa 10-10-2011 07:20 PM

A cold can of pop held between your b**bs works great to cool off!

luckylindy333 10-10-2011 07:26 PM

get vitamin e caps- mixed tocopherols. I got this idea from my naturopath. You may have to take several, but start off slowly and work your way up till you get rid of them. I am a big person, so at one point I was taking 8,000 iu's a day. I would not recommend taking that much unless you talk to a doc first. Try a little and see if it helps. Soy products have a plant estrogen, would not recommend them.

Edited: I have been taking them for years, but am down to 1000 iu's each in am and pm. I believe the only reason I am still on them is due to side effects from anti-cancer drug, Femara. I am very thankful that I know about taking vit. e.

lab fairy 10-10-2011 07:35 PM

HRT isn't the evil some people make it out to be. If you are really young when you hit menopause HRT may be better for you because without the estrogen women start having issues with bone density. If your symptoms are really bad, then this might be your answer. Only you and your Dr. can decide.

I hope you find an OTC that helps with symptoms but I stick by my HRT bioidentical estrogen. Besides dealing with the hot flashes, it helps with the osteopenea.

Ramona Byrd 10-10-2011 08:16 PM

For a lump in one breast a doctor suggested that I start taking small doses of real vitamin E, finish that bottle and go to a larger size.
For whatever reason my starting hot flashes went away, never returned.

GwynR 10-10-2011 08:49 PM

Not so lucky me, my OB dr told me because I ovulate from both sides every month I would be very old before menopause sets in. I had nightmares for a while about being 95, having Parkinson's, and trying to change my tampon, OR worse, having Alzheimer's and forgetting to change it. Lucky me, I ended up having a hysterectomy but keeping my ovaries, no menopause, no periods, life is good!

Weenween 10-11-2011 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lioness3xs
Ok ladies - I need help with this issue just all of a sudden. What works, what doesn't and how to survive?

I WAS TOLD ESTROVEN OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AT WALMARTS REALLY HELPS I AM SORRY TO SAY NOTHING HELPED ME BUT THE HORMONE PILLS I AM 48 AND BEEN STRUGGLING FOR 8 YEARS WITH IT .GOOD LUCK

0tis 10-11-2011 03:54 AM

I use a estrogen patch - had hysterectomy at 39 - dr. took everything including the kitchen sink. I am now 46 and still feel the heat. It took a few years to figure out what dose worked well - I do good with the dose now but I do have the flashes. When I upped the dose had other problems - so I just live with it.