Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I have bad news....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-have-bad-news-t86833.html)

mygirl66 01-01-2011 03:03 PM

I just got home from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I havnt been there for awhile because I have been working so much, so its been about 3 months or so. I saw a few fabrics I REALLY liked on the calico wall, and they are $1 off a yard, so I thought good deal. Nope, they went up to $9.99 a yard on most, how sad. When I got up to the register, the young lady asked why I looked so sad, I told her the prices have gone up so much since I have been there last. THEN she tells me they were bought out last week by the people who own Pet Smart, and fabric is going up NEXT WEEK $2-$3 more per yard, I almost cried.

granky 01-01-2011 03:05 PM

Bummer!!!!

amma 01-01-2011 03:05 PM

I will go and check on our Joann's in a week or two, I am hoping not to find the same thing :(

leatheflea 01-01-2011 03:05 PM

I read somewhere that the cost of cotton is going up due to floods overseas. It has nothing to do with the buy out.

np3 01-01-2011 03:07 PM

I'll shop online first. It wouldn't be so bad if the quality was better. I have not been pleased with a lot of their fabric lately.

lvaughan 01-01-2011 03:08 PM

I was at my Joann's yesterday, got some fabrics from the clearance section that is an additional 50% off. When I went to the cutting table I asked about them being bought out, the clerk was a bit snippy and informed (straightened me out) that they have not been bought out just will be merging. Don't know why she was a bit defensive.

np3 01-01-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I read somewhere that the cost of cotton is going up due to floods overseas. It has nothing to do with the buy out.

This is true for future purchases, but their stock on hand was purchased prior to this flooding overseas.

Grama Lehr 01-01-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by np3

This is true for future purchases, but their stock on hand was purchased prior to this flooding overseas.

I agree, why do they have to raise the price on fabric they bought years ago????

everybody's mother 01-01-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr

Originally Posted by np3

I agree, why do they have to raise the price on fabric they bought years ago????

GREED!! :XD:

dreamer2009 01-01-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by np3

prior to the flooding... the USA dumped 40% of their cotton crops in favor of planting soybeans...then the floods hit and ruined the crops overseas.