Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Now I know what I've been doing wrong! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/now-i-know-what-ive-been-doing-wrong-t175731.html)

Charlee 01-15-2012 12:25 PM

Now I know what I've been doing wrong!

I'm reading through the Singer Sewing Book by Mary Brooks Picken from 1949, and I know now what I've been doing wrong with my sewing! It MUST be the reason my points never match and seams aren't straight! My comments are in red.

And I quote:

"When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Go through a beauty ritual of orderliness. Have on a clean dress. (I don't think I OWN a dress!!) Be sure your hands are clean, fingernails smooth-a nail file and pumice will help. Always avoid hangnails. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine where you can pick it up and dust your fingers at intervals. This not only absorbs the moisture on your fingers, but helps to keep your work clean. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care. Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing, because if you are making something for yourself, you will try it on at intervals in front of the mirror, and you can hope for better results when you look your best.
Again, sewing imust be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it, and if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should. Therefore "spruce up" at the begging so that you are free to enjoy every part of any sewing you do."

:D:D:D I should sell my fabric and machines now...it's hopeless!

JusticeClan 01-15-2012 12:30 PM

Very funny how they lived back in 1949.

barri1 01-15-2012 12:40 PM

Don't you remember Leave it to Beaver, and how June Cleaver always looked made up?
Barri

Sunnie 01-15-2012 12:45 PM

Well, I'm in trouble. If someone stops in they have to take me as I am while I am enjoying myself sewing in my jammies.

Charlee 01-15-2012 01:08 PM

If my spousal unit came home and I was "put together" he'd think I was having an affair while he was gone!! :D

Judith1005 01-15-2012 01:18 PM

Oh Charlee, I have missed the humor on the SS thread. Thanks for bringing it back. That is hystrical! God almighty, lets just make ourselves a door mat too, while were sewing. Man alive, what were they thinking.

deedum 01-15-2012 01:23 PM

That is a hoot! Oh my goodness! I guess some changes are for the best!

Judith1005 01-15-2012 01:29 PM

Ya know what, I don't even own a dress.!

miss_ticky2 01-15-2012 01:33 PM

Excuse me everyone...I must dash and shower and put on a dress (if I can find one) and do my hair and makeup....back in 3 hours ;)

valleyquiltermo 01-15-2012 01:36 PM

I sew in my best jammies, does that count??? LOL Charlee your a blast.