Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Now I know what I've been doing wrong! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/now-i-know-what-ive-been-doing-wrong-t175731.html)

SUZAG 01-15-2012 03:34 PM

So when did they find time to sew???

DogHouseMom 01-15-2012 03:52 PM

What a hoot!

I want to see the 1949 husband come home *today* and see us sewing in sweats or jammies (or nuthin!), no shoes or makeup, hair looking however it looked when we rolled out of bed (OK ... *maybe* we ran a comb through it), sitting in the sewing room with the TV in the background, and dinner? Well hopefully HE picked up dinner at the KFC on his way home from work!!

BTW ... I do own several dresses, but I don't own any lipstick!

Greenheron 01-15-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4877615)
Just a thought...but if you're sewing yourself a new dress, wouldn't it be better just to sew it while in your bra, panties, girddle, stockings, and lace slip? I mean, if you felt the need, you could do the heels too, guess that wouldn't look TOO silly. That way you're not mussin' up that hairdo and makeup that you took the time to put on before you started so that you could do your best stitching!

Oh, golly gee-whiz, Charlee--you forgot your pearls!

Jan in VA 01-15-2012 04:22 PM

Lorda mercy!! T'was my mother who lived in that time, not very successfully I might add.
I came along as a teen in the sixties and noticed how my peers were fighting to make changes.
In 1969 I was sent to Germany (by my grandmother) with my husband for his just-out-of-college job in a woolen suit and wearing white cloves....
But within 4 years I tried (several times) a "textile frei" beach and got a gorgeous all over tan and then soon moved to wearing (quite!) cut-off jeans shorts to the grocery store. Of course, I was actually half the woman in those days that I am now!!

I almost always wear lipstick now because my lips feel dry, but in the 1960s and 70s we paid the price and we should benefit!

Jan in VA

Quiltaddict 01-15-2012 04:23 PM

Don't own a dress or lipstick and the only time I wear shoes is if I go outside the house and it's usually flip flops. We've come a long way, baby.

hannajo 01-15-2012 04:57 PM

Thanks for posting this. Very funny!

Sandra in Minnesota 01-15-2012 05:21 PM

Thanks for the good chuckle of the day. I was 4 years old and never remembering mom getting all dolled up before my dad came home, and they were married 55 years!

SueDor 01-15-2012 06:40 PM

So funny!!!

crafty3236 01-15-2012 06:48 PM

I enjoyed the good laugh, I was at joanns the other day (hadnt been in awhile) was looking at fabric n about died when I came across fabric that had old patterns on it, have you seen it? my thought was what would you make with it?

mrsponcho1 01-15-2012 07:46 PM

Well, ladies I must be in the minority here. I raised 2 boys, so always had to dress, never knew who might walk thru the door after school. By dressing, I mean jeans and a t-shirt. I still do this even tho sons are grown. One lives next door and arrives unannounced. Now days it is usually my husband who comes home from work and says btw - one of the guys is coming by and we are going to ride/work on 4-wheelers. I even put on sunscreen, foundation, do the eyebrows and put on mascara. btw - my skin looks really good these days for a 52 year old. lol