Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Olympics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/olympics-t197370.html)

raptureready 08-12-2012 09:44 AM

would have enjoyed more of being able to watch instead of all the blah blah. I'm glad it's over. I don't really need someone to tell me what I'm going to see, what I should see, or their intrepretation of what I've just seen.

Panchita 08-12-2012 10:35 AM

I have really enjoyed the Olympics. I wouldn't describe myself as 'sporty', but I appreciate the talent and effort that goes into becoming a top-level athlete and some of the performances have been absolutely breath-taking.

Plus I am very impressed with the performance of the British team - third on the medal table is seriously impressive!

I will miss it when it finishes.

nivosum 08-12-2012 11:31 AM

The professionals don't belong in the Olympics. The games were originally for the nonprofessionals and it should go back to that group. NBC talks to much and gives information that we don't need. I simply don't understand this fascination with Twitter.

romanojg 08-12-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by nivosum (Post 5435937)
The professionals don't belong in the Olympics. The games were originally for the nonprofessionals and it should go back to that group. NBC talks to much and gives information that we don't need. I simply don't understand this fascination with Twitter.

The professionals as we think of them aren't in the Olympics. These people work really hard to get where they are. Va Beach had a young girl who took gold and has only been practicing for a few short yrs and there was talk she'd bomb out but she was one of our best. I guess why I enjoy it even the info they give us on the players is that I want to know about them and some of them have unbelievable struggles to get where they are so you appreciate it even more. We had for the first time ever a double amputee this yr and he really fought because no one wanted someone who was handicapped with not one but two artificial limbs to compete in the regular Olympics. I don't do Twitter, Facebook so I'm not bomb barded with it all. I liked it when I turned on the TV at night on one station I knew I was going to be able to watch some amazing people of all age groups compete for something that they worked really hard for. One of our best swimmers is in high school and she's turned down million $ deals so that she could continue to swim with her high school; that is a true winner. I get excited and like I said; it's not about the sports its about these amazing people from all over the world who have come together every so many yrs to compete. I could always go to a different channel if I didn't want to watch them; its easy to get away from if you didn't want to watch. I did.

tulip43 08-12-2012 12:09 PM

enjoying all the Olympics. Great to see all the other atheletes from around the world participate in England Will be watching the Closing Ceremonies or taping to watch later

MattieMae 08-12-2012 12:49 PM

When they brought in all the professional multimillionaire athletes with their big fat egos it ruined it for me. There is too much inane talk replacing the actual competition. It gets worse every two years. NBC is turning this once great event into a cheap network reality show.

Kitsie 08-12-2012 12:55 PM

I totally agree with you!! I've loved watching the "Brits". (I'm Canadian of all British Grandparents) I do not love how the US finds it necessary to give us a medal count! With the population they and China have, how can other countries even be in the running? Big deal! But I do enjoy watching lesser known - in this country - sports and athletes. Basketball? We can watch that practically 24 hrs a day, any day!

sassey 08-12-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 5435974)
The professionals as we think of them aren't in the Olympics. These people work really hard to get where they are. Va Beach had a young girl who took gold and has only been practicing for a few short yrs and there was talk she'd bomb out but she was one of our best. I guess why I enjoy it even the info they give us on the players is that I want to know about them and some of them have unbelievable struggles to get where they are so you appreciate it even more. We had for the first time ever a double amputee this yr and he really fought because no one wanted someone who was handicapped with not one but two artificial limbs to compete in the regular Olympics. I don't do Twitter, Facebook so I'm not bomb barded with it all. I liked it when I turned on the TV at night on one station I knew I was going to be able to watch some amazing people of all age groups compete for something that they worked really hard for. One of our best swimmers is in high school and she's turned down million $ deals so that she could continue to swim with her high school; that is a true winner. I get excited and like I said; it's not about the sports its about these amazing people from all over the world who have come together every so many yrs to compete. I could always go to a different channel if I didn't want to watch them; its easy to get away from if you didn't want to watch. I did.

Well said about the only time I can find anything decent to watch that isnt a re run of a rerun of a re run

jaspersu 08-12-2012 02:07 PM

I am glad to see the end of it because I kept staying up way too late watching each night! My sleep schedule always gets off track during the Olympics. But I will be eager and watching again the next time the games roll around.

QandE2010 08-12-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps (Post 5435246)
The self discipline and practice practice it takes is inspiring. To set any goal and achieve it is awesome. The Olympics are certainly more enjoyable than all the dirty politics. It is so good to see all the healthy, strong, self disciplined and confident people competing. The stories of how some of the athletes reached the Olympics are just amazing stories. They have worked very hard.

This is the first year that I have been retired while the Olympics were on and I agree with Scraps. I really enjoy them and enjoy the stories about how the participants got there.
To each his own, I'd say!!!!