Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   School snow days (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/school-snow-days-t89750.html)

SherriB 01-11-2011 08:54 PM

I feel bad for my DD and DGD. They have missed almost 2 weeks of school due to the snow. There were out the whole week before Christmas break and have only been back 2 days since. The high school even canceled the end of the semester exams.

DD is hoping they won't cancel school tomorrow and that they will still go on a 2 hour delay. DH called on his way to work and said the roads were very slick and icy. I am doubting there will be school tomorrow. Anyone else have students missing school because of snow?

Marlys 01-11-2011 08:58 PM

Nope - the only time school has been canceled here is because the power was out for 2 days. I just got home from a library board meeting and it is -7 with a wind chill factor of about -25. We have lots of snow and the streets are very icy. But school will not be canceled - they just won't let the elementary kids go outside for recess.

Qbee 01-11-2011 09:02 PM

Oh yeah.....we have missed 4 days so far so we will AGAIN be going to school in June. My poor DD is so not happy because she is a senior and they can't set the date for graduation until after all the winter weather passes.

cashmommy11 01-11-2011 09:09 PM

yep i here in hawkins co. and no school here... my kids are sick of being out of school johnson city schools have said they will be using hoildays and sat. to make up for the snow day

raptureready 01-11-2011 09:22 PM

Nope, DD shoveled 5 inches of snow flurries this morning so that she and I could get to the car. Then she took an old broom and swept 5" off the windshield. She came back in for about 10 minutes and when we went out to get her to school there was over 1/2" on the windshield. Snow doesn't stop us here. Heavy ice will and wind---if that snow starts blowing over the flatlands we get whiteouts that are extremely dangerous--then school is cancelled.

luvTooQuilt 01-11-2011 09:45 PM

mines been home two days already.. And boy can she drive you crazy.. "Momma.... momma.....momma.... Mommeeeeee.... !!!

Make-up days are the holidays..

cathyvv 01-11-2011 10:52 PM

I was in Walmart on Sunday night. One of the front end managers told a cashier that all the public schools in the county were closed Monday, in anticipation of the snow storm. It wasn't even cloudy at the time!!!

Two kids in line with their parents went into an impromptu 'snow day celebration' dance. Their Dad told me that he'd keep them busy the next day - looking up words in the dictionary and writing their definitions. Sounded like torture to me...

Hosta 01-12-2011 02:55 AM

In Ohio our snow days were cut from five to three so all schools are just postponing opening for two to three hours which messes with everyone's schedules

raptureready 01-12-2011 05:12 AM

We have wind today so NO SCHOOL! DD got up (without being called I might add) doing a happy dance. She thinks that she's going to get to play on the Wii all day but I have a few other plans.......hehehehehe

hikingquilter 01-12-2011 05:14 AM

No school here in Mass. today. Twelve+ inches at 6:00 this morning and still coming down heavy!