Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Virus warning at Google Images? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/virus-warning-google-images-t118893.html)

Aimee G 04-26-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan

Originally Posted by Aimee G
That being said, it sounds like what your dealing with is a redirect virus. A website/platform/host gets hacked & instead of going to the website you intended, it redirects you to one (or you get a pop-up) that tells you it's scanning your computer & you have tons of bad stuff on it. Do not click on anything, if you can't get off that site, shut down your computer. Clear your cookies, clean your computer & run a scan (in safe mode) With a redirect, there's not much more you can do about it; it's usually not on your end.

I was searching [free] quilting patterns last evening and when I clicked on one, it redirected me to an ad. Tried again, same thing. I run my Webroot scan every day.

That could be several things. If you're only getting it on one site, it's unlikely that there's adware on your 'puter. If it was a blog & that blogger paid for hosting & they didn't pay their bill, the hosting company can & will put an ad in that space until the blogger ponies up the dough to get their URL back. Again, it could be a redirect virus. Or it could be that the website you tried to access belongs to a "hub", & every *so many* (I don't know the ratio) times you access a website on that hub, instead of the website, you get an ad.

If you are having a problem on more than one site it could be that your security software is letting somethings slip through. Not every program is great at catching every type of Malware. If it continues, try layering your protection. CNet has some great programs you can download for free, & they're safe as long as you actually download them from CNet (not the mirror sites) Just make sure if you do layer that the programs "play nice" together :)

carhop 04-26-2011 07:29 AM

There must be something going around Norton keeps finding cookies on mine

AlwaysQuilting 04-26-2011 07:42 AM

That could be several things. If you're only getting it on one site, it's unlikely that there's adware on your 'puter. If it was a blog & that blogger paid for hosting & they didn't pay their bill, the hosting company can & will put an ad in that space until the blogger ponies up the dough to get their URL back. Again, it could be a redirect virus. Or it could be that the website you tried to access belongs to a "hub", & every *so many* (I don't know the ratio) times you access a website on that hub, instead of the website, you get an ad.

If you are having a problem on more than one site it could be that your security software is letting somethings slip through. Not every program is great at catching every type of Malware. If it continues, try layering your protection. CNet has some great programs you can download for free, & they're safe as long as you actually download them from CNet (not the mirror sites) Just make sure if you do layer that the programs "play nice" together :)

It's not sending me to a diff. site, just telling me that I have a virus (although it's not my virus / malware programs giving me that warning) and then tries to scan my computer.
I've cleared my cache, cookies, history, et al and re-ran my programs. So far so good.

Aimee G 04-26-2011 08:00 AM

AlwaysQuilting ~ I was trying to respond to QuiltnNan & apparently didn't do something right :) Forums are something I'm still trying to get the hang of :)
Like I said, your problem sounds like a redirect virus & likely isn't on your end. The server/host/platform/website (whatever) has been hacked & had code inserted to cause either a redirect or a pop-up. There's one very well-known hosting site that this happens about once every six weeks or so. Bloggers/site owners don't update their security & don't know how to check their code to see if there's something "extra" written into it. It usually takes a few days for everyone to catch up & fix the problem :(

AlwaysQuilting 04-26-2011 08:08 AM

AlwaysQuilting ~ I was trying to respond to QuiltnNan & apparently didn't do something right :) Forums are something I'm still trying to get the hang of :)
Like I said, your problem sounds like a redirect virus & likely isn't on your end. The server/host/platform/website (whatever) has been hacked & had code inserted to cause either a redirect or a pop-up. There's one very well-known hosting site that this happens about once every six weeks or so. Bloggers/site owners don't update their security & don't know how to check their code to see if there's something "extra" written into it. It usually takes a few days for everyone to catch up & fix the problem :(

Oops sorry. But your info is very interesting. Thanks

QuiltnNan 04-26-2011 08:46 AM

thanks, Aimee G. that is very interesting to know about the hosting company :) when I ran my scanner, there were only low level cookies.

medots 04-26-2011 04:16 PM

When you get the wornings hit alt control and delet this will send your computer to shut down then your can end the offending program.

Quiltforme 04-26-2011 11:35 PM

I have not had good luck on google I have had to fight 2 different attacks so I just stay away from it

chance 04-27-2011 04:19 AM

My anti-virus program picked up a trojan when trying to access a UTube Missouri Quilting tutorial yesterday. I just quickly shut down my machine, ran a scan and got rid of them (7) in a matter of seconds.

smagruder 04-27-2011 05:33 AM

They are just trying to get you to buy their product.