Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   War Horse Movie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/war-horse-movie-t176424.html)

DogHouseMom 01-21-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 4896561)
I don't want to see the movie because even if those movie horses weren't injured, there were real horses that were and that is just an image I don't want in my head.

I'm with you there, and probably wont watch the movie even when it comes on HBO. I cant even watch the ASPCA commercials.

I'm sitting here and on the love seat opposite me are mother and daughter dogs, snoozing butt to butt like book ends. This is what I like to watch.

Oops!, dad rustled a chip ag in the other room and sleeoing dogs vacated faster than you can say "chip bag"!!

Pam B 01-21-2012 07:12 PM

I thought it was an excellent movie. War is not pretty. Actually, I had misgivings about seeing it because I am an animal lover (I even cry watching Lassie). But, when the movie was over...I was very glad I had gone to see it.

sandyl 01-21-2012 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B (Post 4897736)
I thought it was an excellent movie. War is not pretty. Actually, I had misgivings about seeing it because I am an animal lover (I even cry watching Lassie). But, when the movie was over...I was very glad I had gone to see it.

I saw the movie, too and thought it was great. It does awaken us to the horrors of war; but it ended on a happier note.

Moonglow 01-21-2012 07:43 PM

If politicians and rulers of countries were in the front lines there would be no wars!

TanyaL 01-21-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moonglow (Post 4897792)
If politicians and rulers of countries were in the front lines there would be no wars!

That's not exactly true. When kings led their own armies to war, there were as many wars or more than now. Mankind does not practice peace on a national level.

merry 01-22-2012 02:05 PM

Although exceptions don't make the rule, my DH is making a civil war quilt that commemorates a Civil War Dog, "Sally." There's also a monument for her in PA.

MaryKatherine 01-23-2012 05:25 AM

If there were no professional soldiers there would be no wars.
MaryKatherine

TanyaL 01-23-2012 06:57 AM

Do you think the draft can not be reinstated? I think that if there were no evil there would be no wars.

LouBert 01-23-2012 08:17 AM

I was also hesitant to see the movie, and a couple of scenes shocked my 'ignorance' of war. It is my understanding that 14 different horses were used to make the film, none of them injured in any way. It's not just Germany that can be evil, look what we did to the Indians. The movie was great, I'm glad I went to see it.

Mona Marie 01-23-2012 08:31 AM

I saw the movie. It was a terrible war with a lot of lives lost. As for the horses they were expendable. Not my way of thinking. Wish I could afford to have more thatn I already do. In WW2, dogs was the expendale commondity. Many where left or shot when no longer needed and they didn't want to bring them all back home