Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do your Grandkids call you?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-your-grandkids-call-you-t200512.html)

carolaug 09-15-2012 03:56 AM

What do your Grandkids call you??

My husband and I am having our first Grandchild. What do we have them call us?? When I say Grandmother I think old...My Grandmothers were about 54+ when I was born so growing up. I do remember no like saying Grandmother it was so unfriendly as a child. My grandmother on the other side was Meme - I don't seem like a meme either...I am not a nana...thinking Gram. My husband feels the same...so we are searching what to called. My husband said his first name but to me that is not right or respectful. Suggestions...

Donna H-M 09-15-2012 04:02 AM

When grandson started talking he called me Mom Mom. So that's who I am :)

jbud2 09-15-2012 04:02 AM

My granddaughter started out calling me Grandma, her other grandmother is Nanny. Then B called me 'Grammy' and that got shorten to 'Grams'. I can tell you whatever she calls me, I hop to it! She is very precious to me!!

orangeroom 09-15-2012 04:04 AM

I'm not a grandparent yet. However, I do work in maternity. Many women are called; Nana, Nanny, Nona (Italian), Mima, Babi (short for Babusha or Babushka -Ukrainian or Russian), Mimi, G-Ma, Gram, Gammy, Gramma ____ (followed by given name Gramma Sarah), Grammy and Mawmaw.

I've heard slightly less variation for the new grandfathers; Papa, Poppy, Nono (Italian), Grandpa, G-pa, Didi (short for Diduece - Ukrainian), and Pawpaw.

Good luck. Sometimes it comes down to what the child can pronounce! Congrats in advance!

Rylandon3 09-15-2012 04:13 AM

Grandma Carol and sometimes....Grammy

dd 09-15-2012 04:24 AM

All the names I wanted were already taken by others in the family, both ours and his. So we kinda decided on Gammy but when he actually started talking it came out dd. Not sure how he spells it, he's only 3. When other people hear this they think that's my name and I've had adults who don't know me call me DeDe like it's short for Deidra.

carolaug 09-15-2012 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362826[/ATTACH]here is a picture of my dad as a young teenager..I loved my grandmother but she was a lot older than I am now having a first grandchild. My dad started having kids at 39 and I am the youngest. I think she was older than in her 50's when I was born. I don't want to offend anyone when I said grandmother sounded old. She is a lovely woman but really was. Sadly passed when I was a teenager.

grannie cheechee 09-15-2012 04:36 AM

growing up I was called CheeChee. When the grandkids came along that's what they called me. Now all 14 gr grands call me CheeChee. I don't care what they call me as long as they call me. Oh, DH is PawPaw.

carolaug 09-15-2012 04:42 AM

Oh I like CheeChe...now that is different. I would think by now with all the active, involved grandparents they would have modern names...

Susan G. 09-15-2012 04:43 AM

My grandkids call me Mammaw. My husband is Pappaw.