Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Where id my hummers go?! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/where-id-my-hummers-go-t224043.html)

Kitsie 06-19-2013 07:21 AM

Where id my hummers go?!

Suddenly 3 days ago hummingbirds stopped coming to my feeders!! They have been very busy this year, even through the winter when I even had to unfreeze the nectar.

Would think that migration was earlier than this from SW Washington if they were going somewhere. They are usually visiting all day long till after dark!

Any ideas, bird lovers? I miss them! :(

DogHouseMom 06-19-2013 07:27 AM

Check the feeders for bugs/debris. Mine will stop visiting the feeders if ants or bees get into them and foul the nectar.

Kitsie 06-19-2013 07:30 AM

Thanks, Mom. No problem there! Have ant baffles and wash almost daily. Haven't seen them around on the roses and bushes either just these last few days!

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6131348)
Check the feeders for bugs/debris. Mine will stop visiting the feeders if ants or bees get into them and foul the nectar.

QuiltE 06-19-2013 07:54 AM

Is there any chance that your "feed" has gone bad?

Kind of like when sewing and changing out the bobbin and re-threading ... perhaps start fresh by washing your feeders and a new batch of nectar.

Here's hoping yours come back real soon ... maybe they're just on a little holiday!
I've had quite a few this year ... and guess what? I do not feed ... they must like my hanging basket and planters! :D

crafty pat 06-19-2013 07:59 AM

I had to take mine down as bee's were swarming around it so bad even with the bee guards. I still see them around my flowers but not as much as I am used to.

Kitsie 06-19-2013 07:59 AM

I do too! I use little feeders and have to fill them every day! I use sugar/water that I make (they seem to prefer it) and keep any extra in the fridge. Thanks, tho!

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6131396)
Is there any chance that your "feed" has gone bad?

Kind of like when sewing and changing out the bobbin and re-threading ... perhaps start fresh by washing your feeders and a new batch of nectar.

Here's hoping yours come back real soon ... maybe they're just on a little holiday!
I've had quite a few this year ... and guess what? I do not feed ... they must like my hanging basket and planters! :D

Tartan 06-19-2013 08:48 AM

Maybe the freaky weather patterns have effected their range?

Kitsie 06-19-2013 09:11 AM

Our weather hasn't been a problem - and to go from 3 very active feeders (they used to sit in the trees above while I filled them) to nada!!?? weird!

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6131476)
Maybe the freaky weather patterns have effected their range?

Pinkiris 06-19-2013 12:06 PM

I filled my oriole and hummingbird feeders a while back (maybe 2 weeks) and haven't seen either bird since! Today, the purple finches are at the oriole feeder like crazy. Don't know where the hummers went.

Guess I will take down all feeders, wash and refill them and see what happens. I miss my little friends!

Jingle 06-19-2013 12:48 PM

Baby woodpeckers get on my hummingbird feeders and drain all the nectar out. I only buy the red nectar that has vitamins and minerals in it. My hummers are still around and come to the feeder to find it all gone. They do get on the honeysuckle vine. The bees will show up later and run both off. The hummers may be nesting in your area.