Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Printing tips - save money

From time to time, for my use, I print articles from this site for my "how to" binder or to save tutorials which often run many pages. I copy what I want to print (control key + "c") and then open a word processing document and paste (control key + "v"). I then adjust the size of the photos by clicking on the pictures, move my cursor to the corner of the picture until an arrow appears, click the left cursor and hold while shrinking the picture toward the center. It can reduce the total printing job by several pages - less to store and less money to replace color cartridges. Hope this isn't clear as mud.

never thought of it, will use it, thank you for it

I have a folder on my computer that is titled quilts. and anything I want to save for future reference goes into that so I don't have to print every thing out, but if i want to do something I can always look it up under quilts and refresh my memory or print it out if I need too. but the tip about reducing pictures is pricless thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Another thing you can do is in print dialog box, there's a button "Preferences" to click on. The select the "Printing shortcuts" folder. Several choices are available. Under the "General Everyday" printing option you can use "Printing quality" option of "Fast Draft" (prints gray scale) or "Fast Normal" (a colored version of fast draft). I use those options all the time for both our farm business as well as pleasure (ie quilting!).

Blog Entries
    I always select 'print selection' and it prints only what I have highlighted. This saves me all the extra steps. Also there is a free program called Cute Pdf. When you click print, select this as your printer and it will automatically save what you want to print as a pdf file. Pdf will let you resize what you want to print including pictures with one click.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Another thing you can do is in print dialog box, there's a button "Preferences" to click on. The select the "Printing shortcuts" folder. Several choices are available. Under the "General Everyday" printing option you can use "Printing quality" option of "Fast Draft" (prints gray scale) or "Fast Normal" (a colored version of fast draft). I use those options all the time for both our farm business as well as pleasure (ie quilting!).
    I do the same. But after I print I put in draft, I also click on grayscale and change it to 'use black cartridge only'. It saves using the color cartridge for when we really need it, which isn't very often.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    I do the same. But after I print I put in draft, I also click on grayscale and change it to 'use black cartridge only'. It saves using the color cartridge for when we really need it, which isn't very often.
    I have set my preferences to black ink only too... it really saves a LOT on having to replace 1/2 empty color cartridges :D:D:D