Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Project Linus and Pipkin Middle School

This year I was contacted by a teacher at Pipkin Middle School who wanted to help our chapter of Project Linus by making blankets. She was able to secure a local grant for all materials, she just needed the kids to get involved. In the beginning, only 3 students showed up whenever there was an early-out day. I came and talked to the group, explained how important our mission was and that could make a difference, and worked alongside all those 7th graders the entire afternoon. Now, the teacher says that she has too many kids, she has to schedule sessions. I went over there yesterday to pick up some more of their blankets they made, and was greeted warmly and they carried the blankets down and loaded them for me. Their teacher/sponsor said that kids that don't talk to each other in the hall will work side-by-side on making the no-sew fleece blankets. One will cut, the other follows with tying the fringe. She said that they quote some of my comments while making the blankets, and that the little talk and day of working with them empowered them to make a difference. Great group of kids. We can never start early enough to teach the lesson of giving back to the community.

Kudos to you and the teacher for setting a great example and leading the next generation to a great community service project.

Blog Entries
    Great job in spreading the word. Nice to see younger people getting involved in positive things. Thank you for sharing.

Wow-you should be proud of the impact you have had on those students. And I know that this takes a big investment of your time. Congrats!!!

Diane - I have always known you were special. Society will be endebted to you for helping pass on the love of giving. Such a fun project and learning experience....and all the kids win.

MOMIMI
    I love Springfield, MO

Wow, I am proud of you too! Congrats!

I want to add that Pipkin is an at-risk school, 90% are on reduced/free lunches and breakfast programs, most are from single parent homes, day-to-day life is a struggle for most of these kids. It has just blown me away to see them embrace an activity to help others, knowing that they themselves are in need, too.

Blog Entries
    Awww This is soooo wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D