Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Show for Middle School students to shop for gifts >

Craft Show for Middle School students to shop for gifts

Craft Show for Middle School students to shop for gifts

Old 11-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Default Craft Show for Middle School students to shop for gifts

I just ran into an old friend that told me about a craft show during the first week of December at our local middle school where the students shop for gifts for their parents and families. The price range is $5-$10. She told me its a great sale, runs the whole week and you don't even have to be there. I'm interested! She told me to "think like a middle schooler" to figure out what to make. Hmmmm..... any ideas for nice, quick easy gifts that will fit into this price range? I'd love some suggestions from some seasoned crafters! Thank you!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Teabag wallet to carry tea and sweetener in a purse; tutorial is here on the QB
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...et-t61789.html

Purse tissue holder, add some tissues, this tutorial works great, these are inexpensive to make
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...r-t107636.html

If you could get fabric inexpensive enough to turn a profit, the pillowcase tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Co website is a good one. But with the cost of fabric, hard to get a profit return.

Mug rugs and a matching mug from the dollar store.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

flower pots to put plant into, coasters, hotpads or oven mits, placemats, aprons (for men too for the bar b q)
tissue holders, tablerunners (10 minute), dog and cat toys, checkbook covers, snap bags in different sizes display with coupons, coz kids don't know what to do with it. rice heating pads, eye covers for sleep, those fabric bowls.
potato bags, I pad I pod cases
Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 PM

The fabric boxes would be good too! Fill them with inexpensive things so the kids get ideas of how they can be used.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM

I think some lower priced items would be good -- not all kids will have that much to spend.

Here's some corner book marks that might go over well. If you have an embroidery machine, the 1st link has some neat ones, the others are not embroidered. You can google "corner bookmarks" and there are tons of them.

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Product...roductID=X7655 (for embroidery machines)

http://beautyandthesweets.com/2012/0...-instructions/

http://sherispapercreations.blogspot...bookmarks.html

Memo book covers (don't use just holiday fabrics -- use all types so they'll be useful all year)

http://www.cancuncookies.com/2013/01...-tutorial.html

http://moosebstitchin.net/covers_index.htm (for embroidery machines)

Maybe some refrigerator magnets (really cute ideas on google)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 AM

I taught middle school students for 39 years. I loved it, and I loved the students. But I am having a real problem thinking of items that might sell at a craft show for that age. This sounds a bit awful, but students that age are pretty self-centered, so you might try for some items that they would like for themselves, as I think that is what they might buy. Scrunchies for the hair, magnet things for refrigerators that they might want inside their lockers, fabric bracelets (? I think I saw such a thing somewhere....)...

Anyway, I am really not much help, am I? Students will also be looking for items to give to their friends, maybe?

Dina
Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I taught middle school students for 39 years. I loved it, and I loved the students. But I am having a real problem thinking of items that might sell at a craft show for that age. This sounds a bit awful, but students that age are pretty self-centered, so you might try for some items that they would like for themselves, as I think that is what they might buy. Scrunchies for the hair, magnet things for refrigerators that they might want inside their lockers, fabric bracelets (? I think I saw such a thing somewhere....)...

Anyway, I am really not much help, am I? Students will also be looking for items to give to their friends, maybe?

Dina
Dina,
I have to get some clarification on this from the woman that told me about it. I was thinking it was a boutique for them to buy gifts for their parents and maybe for brothers and sisters, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc...in other words, family. But she said to me ..."you know... think like a middle schooler"! Good heavens that was a long long time ago!! But, I think you may be right! They tend to think about themselves!

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far. I had forgotten about some of these things... like the tea bag wallet. I made them for teacher's gifts years ago! Some good suggestions here. For me, its going to be a matter of TIME! Never enough of that!!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 AM

My granddaughter is in middle school and all the girls are wearing infinity scarves. You could buy a yard of fleece for under $10 and make several scarves from that. Just cut scarfsized strips and sew the ends together so you have a circular shape. I'm not sure of the dimensions but so it could fit over the head, twist, and over the head again. Would also make a good gift for students to give to sisters or moms.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zappycat View Post
Dina,
I have to get some clarification on this from the woman that told me about it. I was thinking it was a boutique for them to buy gifts for their parents and maybe for brothers and sisters, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc...in other words, family. But she said to me ..."you know... think like a middle schooler"! Good heavens that was a long long time ago!! But, I think you may be right! They tend to think about themselves!

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far. I had forgotten about some of these things... like the tea bag wallet. I made them for teacher's gifts years ago! Some good suggestions here. For me, its going to be a matter of TIME! Never enough of that!!
I am pretty sure the craft show is designed for the students to buy family members gifts...but I am just not so sure that is what the students will see it as.

Wallets also come to mind...not real simple to make though. Would work for any family member.

Dina