Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fleece for Middle School Project >

Fleece for Middle School Project

Fleece for Middle School Project

Old 11-13-2017, 04:56 AM

Default Fleece for Middle School Project

Hello All, I'm new to the forum. I'm having my middle school students create gifts for a nearby nursing home's residents. There are 28 males and 15 females, and I have a mini-grant of $100. I wanted to make fleece lap blankets (need 2 yards of fleece) for at least the females and then figure out what the students could make for the males. I've reached out to an online fabric store, but the fleece is still pricey. Any suggestions on where/how I can make this happen? Thanks!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 AM

please check JoAnn Fabrics (hopefully you have one close to you). They have fleece on sale a lot and around Thanksgiving, there are some big sales with coupons. Sign onto JoAnn Fabric's web site to get coupons. You might also go in person.....they give discounts to teachers, so might be able to get you a deal.

Hobby Lobby also has fleece and 40% coupons online and in Sunday newpapers.

I think that is a wonderful thing you are doing. And, I also think the Men would also love a lap quilt.

Depending on where you are located, a local quilt guild might also contribute either fleece or $$.

Good luck with this generous endeavor and hopefully it can be a yearly event! Then, you can keep on the lookout all year long for sales. Be sure to take pictures of the quilts, the makers and the recipients with their quilts.

Last edited by patricej; 11-13-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 AM

I'm sure the men will enjoy fleece blankies as well! Maybe you could make them in "one color fits all" so it doesn't matter if they get mixed up!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I'm sure the men will enjoy fleece blankies as well! Maybe you could make them in "one color fits all" so it doesn't matter if they get mixed up!
Exactly what I was thinking ... why not blankets for the men-folk too?

As a suggestion ... if you have not already, please be sure to check with the nursing home to confirm the suitability of the fabric, the size and or course, their willingness to accept these. It would be terrible to have the kids make them, and have them refused. Unfortunately, it has happened before!

Regarding the costs, you already have some good suggestions from NoraB.

Another possibility would be for your kids to do a fundraiser to help with the costs.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:36 AM

of if they have access to sewing machines and fleece is too expensive, you could make placemats--maybe one side with Christmasy fabric and the other with winter or spring. Have them sew 3 sides, flip it right side out, etc. At the county fair last year we had pieces of muslin and scrap bat (bet you can get both from your local guilds) and then used strips of various sizes and had the kids sew and flip the strips to the bat/backing. We trimmed (used rotary cutter so had adult help with that) and then just sewed around the edges with a zig zag. Takes most kids (we had ages 6-14) about 20-30 mintues so doable in a class period if there were enough machines. And most quilters have strip scraps and would be willing to donate. Contact your local guild--they may even have members willing to bring in machines and help mentor. That way every one in the nursing home would get an item that would cheer them up daily.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM

Mostly men will be recipients of the fleece blankies. "There are 28 males and 15 females"
Old 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

if you do one layer of fleece and g=fringe the ends, it won't take 2 years. only less than a yard for each. fundraiser idea, have the kids sell lollipops in school. My sister did that with her hocky players. they got a weekend at the Olympics for their hard work. If the school knows it's for the kids, everyone will be buying. Shop at Costco, Sams or BJ's then up the price of the candy. You'll have enough to do your project. good luck and show us what you did.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

hmmm, i was thinking maybe polar fleece instead. and cut the edges to make fringe. easy and warm and fast. polar fleece is nice and wide too. you can do two layers and tie fringe together or just one layer. no quilting needed.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:31 AM

NoraB....Hobby Lobby will not honor the 40% off coupon on any fabric as it is already on sale for 30% off everyday...that would make it 70% off and they won't do that!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 AM

Another consideration: The method the nursing home would launder these and how they'd hold up. (heat setting and detergent)