Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • pvc pipe to raise a table questions... >
  • pvc pipe to raise a table questions...

• pvc pipe to raise a table questions...

Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    You would think that pvc would make some kind of a cap that would solve the problem. That is crazy. I like the idea of pvc "cozies", then you can change them when you get bored.
    There are flat caps for 1" and for 1 1/2" but not for 1 1/4" but they are harder to find. They sell round ones..

I did find these though - and although we don't have an Ace hardware in town there is one where my inlaws live. I called down there and they have them in stock in 1 1/2" which *should* fit over the pvc pipe... having said that I did measure the pipe and it is 1 5/8 and not 1 1/2" across... I just got off the phone with my inlaws and they're going to go to the store and check them out. That store also sells pvc pipe so they'll know right away if it is going to work.

I'll let you all know what they say when I find out.
    Oh - here's a link to the leg tip that I found at Ace...
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...73#showReviews

I did find flat caps online through a company that stocks weird fittings for making temporary sun shelters for cars and boats and whatnot... the flat cap is $1.06 each so you figure $4.24 for the four of them - but shipping is $8.45! How wild is that?? I don't think there is a place to get that kind of stuff locally. http://www.creativeshelters.com/Fitt...CFittings.aspx
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    I searched pvc cap on the Home Depot website. They have 1 1/4" so they probably have other sizes also. They are not available online.
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Amazon.com has clear furniture risers now! I have never seen those before. Still I don't think they would fit large round feet on my dresser.
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 AM

I did find flat caps online through a company that stocks weird fittings for making temporary sun shelters for cars and boats and whatnot... the flat cap is $1.06 each so you figure $4.24 for the four of them - but shipping is $8.45! How wild is that?? I don't think there is a place to get that kind of stuff locally.

I use pvc to raise my table, I used the rounded caps made to fit the pvc to protect my floors. You could use regular chair protectors to do the same thing, found at the local wallyworld. They are a hard rubber and shouldn't slide. No need to go to the extra time, effort, expense of internet shopping. :) Just a thought...
    Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM

Cap them off somehow. Like the others have suggested.
    Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM

My fil went to the Ace hardware store today and the 1 1/2" rubber chair tips do not fit the pipe. They do not make a rubber tip big enough to fit the pipe that we need to use.

I'll probably get these rubber discs I saw and use them. They do not fit snugly on the bottom of the pipe so if ever I need to move the table I'll just have to get someone help pick it up instead of just sliding it. I will check to see what Walmart has tomorrow while I'm out and about. It will all work out in the end :)

GGinMcKinney - those caps are round. I really didn't think a rounded cap would work. I would think that the table should sit flat on the ground and not have it all resting on a round edge. And yes, those clear risers were cool. I had seen them on Amazon as well.
    Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Glad you observed they were round. I agree I want my table flat. Hubby decided the black bed risers are ok. Yesterday he was thinking I should find something else. I still wonder if I can copy fabric onto copy paper, cut and glue the paper to cover the sides of the risers and make it match my curtains which will be in a sewing motif. Have the fabric but room is just now changing from guest room to sewing studio. In progress.....
    Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    Glad you observed they were round. I agree I want my table flat. Hubby decided the black bed risers are ok. Yesterday he was thinking I should find something else. I still wonder if I can copy fabric onto copy paper, cut and glue the paper to cover the sides of the risers and make it match my curtains which will be in a sewing motif. Have the fabric but room is just now changing from guest room to sewing studio. In progress.....
    I don't see why you can't do that. If I can cover pvc pipes with something you can cover bed risers!

I do wish my husband was better with power tools. I'd have him make some nice wooden ones by drilling out a 2" hole for the legs to sit on them. It would be sharp - but he just isn't that skilled with tools. I spoke with my mother in law about having fil do that but it was hurting her brain so it is just best for everyone for me to go with the ugly pvc.

I'm not happy with the idea of pvc pipe being my entire table legs but covering them with fabric will make them less ridiculously ugly. It is what it is for now at least. Who knows. Maybe I'll go with the bed risers but I can really see myself tripping in to them all the time. I know my friend Stacy will. She is the clumsiest person I have ever known. It's an accident waiting to happen that's for sure!
    Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 AM

Will you glue the fabric to the pvc? Have you considered coping a pretty piece of fabric onto copy paper and wrapping with paper? My table is white so maybe I just need to try white paper. Think I will go look at that in just a minute. Hmmm.....ideas.... I do have a flower pot that had a snowman on it. In the spring & summer I wrapped it loosely with pink fabric. Seemed ok to me.

I don't see why you can't do that. If I can cover pvc pipes with something you can cover bed risers!
    I'm not happy with the idea of pvc pipe being my entire table legs but covering them with fabric will make them less ridiculously ugly.