Re-sizing a rug

Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Default Re-sizing a rug

My daughter needs an odd size (6/7 x 9) throwrug and cannot find one. We are wondering about buying and cutting down a larger one. Has anyone ever done this? I thought we might draw along the cutting lines, then use fray check along the lines before cutting to minimize fraying. And finally, glue on some binding. Does this sound as if it might work? And what would anyone recommend for binding the edges? The rug would not get heavy usage as she lives alone.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM
yel

some carpet shops have places that sew on binding ......i worked in a carpet shop in florida .. had a machine the would restitch a binding on the carpet
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

It would depend on the type of carpet if it needed to be bound or not. Some gets strings along the edge like fraying fabric. I think you could hot glue a seam binding along the carpet edge if needed?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM

If it's just a throw rug, what about serging the edges?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

What about those carpet tiles I always see on home dec tv programs? Haven't used them myself, but the decorators always say they are easy and cheap, plus you have a lot of options -- can go plain or create a pattern.

As I recall, custom binding a carpet is fairly expensive. My sister had it done years ago, and she mentioned the cost of the binding was quite a shock. She needed a specific size.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I know up here new York, lowes and home depot will cut and bind the carpet for you. try those stores
Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 AM

There is carpet binding that comes in colors, self stick for the bottom of the rug, hot glue the edges. Google do it yourself rug binding.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
What about those carpet tiles I always see on home dec tv programs? Haven't used them myself, but the decorators always say they are easy and cheap, plus you have a lot of options -- can go plain or create a pattern.

As I recall, custom binding a carpet is fairly expensive. My sister had it done years ago, and she mentioned the cost of the binding was quite a shock. She needed a specific size.
I love my carpet tiles. I needed to cover as much of the floor in this room as possible to give my dog some 'traction'. Ready made rugs were either too big or too small. She can go online to FLOR.com and see the options available. I used their free decorator service - there is a number to call. With that service, if you don't like it or it is the wrong size you can send it back - they pay the return freight. As it happened, there was a problem with mine. I called, loaded the tiles I didn't want in one of the boxes it came in and took it to UPS and it was done. It is a great service and my dog really likes it.
Attached Thumbnails p1010109.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I had to cut down a carpet type rug and I put lots of fray check on the cut edge. It works great. I even shampooed it, still there. It was not in a high traffic area. That may be way it worked. Go to a store that sells carpeting. Sometimes they will have some finished ones or could have one finished for her. May not be cheap, depends on how bad she wants it.