Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice >

Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice

Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice

Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

I have been a dental assistant for 23 year, and yes the down fall of lemon is it has acied like effects on your enamale. this will make your the have a choke like appereance.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I don't know how effective the bottled stuff would be.

Lemon juice is acidic, and most bacteria can't survive in an acidic environment. So when you drink it (say, a full tablespoon in enough water to make one cup) 2 - 3 cups a day, it can clean up many kinds of infections:
-- skin disorders such as acne, dandruff, exzema (sp?)
-- gum disease (mild to moderate) and tooth decay (but it works inside the tooth. You don't want to swish it around your mouth, because the acid will harm your tooth enamel.)
-- internal infections such as the kind that give you the runs

It can reduce inflammation, which may help with joint pain.

It basically works much like apple cider vinegar, although they have different vitamins and minerals. And it's far more pleasant to drink, though I don't think it's quite as effective.

The one thing I've been told is that people with congestive heart failure should not take apple cider vinegar. I would guess it applies to lemon juice, too.

I don't add sugar or artificial sweetener to lemon juice.
As a dental assistant for 23yr. We never have told a patient that lemon was good for mouth bactirea or tooth decay. this is just not true. decay is when the enamal is no longer there an all that is left is the soft part of tooth which is called the denten. please do not rinse or put lemon juice in a cavity.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I have a bottle of the lemon juice in the fridge and use it in some sauces or when cooking cauliflower. (I usually don't have real ones when I need them)

The real lemons get tossed in the garbage disposal after they are juiced - makes the garbage shoot smell nice.
Why lemon for cooking cauliflower? I also use oranges in the garbage disposal.
I thought lemon was bad for the enamel on your teeth?[/quote]

yes very bad.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM

We don't have a lemon tree but all our neighbors do and we end up with baskets of lemons each year. I juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays then I bag all the cubes for year round use. We have lots of lemonade, lemon meringue pies, lemon squares, lemon chicken..... We trade oranges and apples to our neighbors. Everyone is happy.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Lemon in cauliflower keeps it white, and a small piece of celery in the steaner will keep down that cabbagey oder
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks IBQUILTIN. First time I've heard about the celery lessening the cauliflower "aroma".
Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 PM

I like fresh best for drinking but bottle will do when I can't get freash. They are also good for cleaning, half a lemon and salt will clean the copper on your pans. Also hot water, vinegar and little lemon shines windows,mirrors, tile, floors. It will also lighten your hair when used as a rinse.9 Growing up in California that is how our blonde hair was so light.) Put slices in water with some cloves and heat on the stove to make the house smell nice. Oranges can be used instead of lemons to smell nice too.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 PM

I envy all of you with lime & lemon trees. Too cold where I live in Texas. I use to use real lemon in bottle when I was on the Diet Center Diet. After a while it made my mouth break out in ulcers. It may not now but if it doesn't bother you have at it.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Originally Posted by Lisanne
Lemon juice is acidic, and most bacteria can't survive in an acidic environment. So when you drink it (say, a full tablespoon in enough water to make one cup) 2 - 3 cups a day, it can clean up many kinds of infections:

-- gum disease (mild to moderate) and tooth decay (but it works inside the tooth. You don't want to swish it around your mouth, because the acid will harm your tooth enamel.)
As a dental assistant for 23yr. We never have told a patient that lemon was good for mouth bactirea or tooth decay. this is just not true. decay is when the enamal is no longer there an all that is left is the soft part of tooth which is called the denten. please do not rinse or put lemon juice in a cavity.
Penny, you may have missed the part where I said it's not good for tooth enamel and not to swish it around your mouth. I took all the unrelated stuff out of my part of your quote and bolded the relevant part.

The idea, let me be clear, is to drink it so it can work from inside your system. Meaning, via your bloodstream and inside the cells, not by applying it topically.

As it happens, it was my dentist who first had me (all his patients) drinking the apple cider vinegar for oral health. I used to complain about the taste, and he said lemon would also work. Of course, he gave the caveat about not letting it sit in your mouth, not using on on the surfaces of your teeth.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM

They are hard to keep here, too. So I squeeze them and put the juice in small containers in the freezer. It's just like fresh. You can also cut the lemon and freeze them in slices or wedges.
YTQ
----------------------------------------------------
You can also freeze the whole fruit. I have an old, at least 45 year old lemon
tree in my back yard that stays full of fruit, flowers or green tiny ones most of the time. They are not sprayed. When I pick them I wash in bleach water, scrub with a plastic scrubber and wipe dry. They keep quite a while, longer in the fridge. I also dry the peels for cookies or cakes. Slivers or when dry put in blender and freeze in a jar. These are marvelous for cookies or cakes.