Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice >

Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice

Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice

Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 AM

Ooh! I didn't see this right away, sorry!

Super easy- slice up lemons and cucumbers- dump into pitcher of ice water, let sit (not too long or they get weird- we're talking more than a day I think), and voila! It's just that easy. If you want a little more flavor out of them, muddle them up a little bit in the pitcher first, but it's not necessary.
My sister made it for me a few years ago, and it's the best drink.
Kind of off subject, but if you steep some fresh ginger (slice them up, skin on is okay as long as you've washed it good) in boiling water, let it cool, and mix with fresh lemons/juice, then mix those with ice water- YUM!! Really refreshing as well, and is really good for your tummy. Ginger is another really inexpensive ingredient (you can get a whole clump of it for like $1) that's great with lots of things.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I love the sound of cucumber lemon water, too! Even just cucumber water!

Maybe just let a (peeled) slice of it sit in the glass of water?
Sorry, forgot to say this too. You don't [u]need[u/] to peel the cucumber if you use an english, seedless cuc because they don't have the hard rind. If you use the other kind, it's up to you about leaving the skin on or not. If I don't feel like peeling it, I don't!

For a single glass of it, I usually do 1-2 slices of each... but it's just easier to make a pitcher because it's so yummy I don't want to stop at one glass. :)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM

Thanks, Deedles, it sounds great!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Since lemons don't keep forever and I'm not one to run to the store every week I wonder if you can squeeze the juice into ice trays, freeze it and then pop one or two cubes into your water? Would freezing it cause it to loose any of its benefits?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Freezing it works great!! You can freeze the juice or lemon wedges/slices.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM

We have both lemon and lime trees and they are quite prolific. The only negative that I know of is dentists now cautioning about the acid in citrus affecting the enamel on teeth. Wouldn't you know that when we try so hard to eat healthy someone will find something wrong with it!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
We have both lemon and lime trees and they are quite prolific. The only negative that I know of is dentists now cautioning about the acid in citrus affecting the enamel on teeth. Wouldn't you know that when we try so hard to eat healthy someone will find something wrong with it!
It never fails!! Damned if you do...damned if you don't. :twisted:
Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Since lemons don't keep forever and I'm not one to run to the store every week I wonder if you can squeeze the juice into ice trays, freeze it and then pop one or two cubes into your water? Would freezing it cause it to loose any of its benefits?
You'd lose some or maybe all of the vitamin C, which is lost on being exposed to air.

Again, about the citric (and ascorbic and other) acid being mad for tooth enamel, this only applies to direct contact, leaving it in your mouth or swishing it around your teeth. It is just fine to drink citrusy things, which help inside the teeth. Enamel is only the outside coating.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

I prefer fresh lemons...but usually use the bottled not from concentrate on hand in the fridge. We use Santa Cruz Organic Lemon Juice. 2 Tbs. = the juice of one medium lemon. We enjoy it! Organic is always better.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 AM

I also boil them in the tea kettle. It removes all of the built up limescale that makes the water taste funny