Retirement

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Don't know how many on here are retired, but I am and am not keen on it. In the doctor's office the other day, a gentleman was overheard saying "The only thing gold in my golden years is my urine." The whole office laughed.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Yes, I'm retired too. If I didn't have my sewing I would be a stiffened up "prune". I have arthritis in my wrists, and most every where else. I complained to the doctor one day that it was hard for me to sew and knit. He said, "then maybe you ought not to sew and knit." My reply was, "well, that is not going to happen."
My husband complained one of his last days of life that, "everything was stiff but what was supposed to be." We both got a good laugh out of that.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM

I retired at age 51 due to numerous reasons, my health, wanting to be a room mom when DD started first grade, and mostly because I could. I had worked for the University of Illinois for 30 years at a fairly good paying job. I LOVE IT! I don't know when I had time to work! Granted my health isn't the best in the world but I'm having the time of my life! If I want to sew I sew, if I want to sleep I sleep, if I want to go shopping, I go, if I want to go on retreat, I do it. For the first time in my life my time is my own (for the most part). Retirees can be a vital part of the community, their neighborhood and their church. I don't stand so well anymore, I don't jump around and dance to the Lord like I used to but I can hold those babies so that the younger ones can. We all have rolls to play, the trick in retirement is finding your new roll.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM

I retired from teaching at age 53. I don't know how I had time to work. Phycically, I'm much better now than when I was working & I retired in 1996. Stress not only kills, but makes every ailment worse.

Originally Posted by Dodee
Don't know how many on here are retired, but I am and am not keen on it. In the doctor's office the other day, a gentleman was overheard saying "The only thing gold in my golden years is my urine." The whole office laughed.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I'm not retired but I'm not working either. And I'm in limbo for awhile. Had 2 foot surgeries, healed well, then tore a meniscus, had another surgery, now I am enjoying not working so much! I went from school to kids, back to school, then worked as an RN for several years. I haven't had time to play since I grew up and I think I just feel like playing for awhile. But that's not good in nursing b/c things change all the time. I'm really torn about this.
Thanks for the topic.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

I have 9 months and 2 weeks left in my working career. After 35 years of shift work I am ready to have every night in bed. I am also looking forward to never having to work a holiday ever again!! I deserve it. I will be 55 when I retire and have been planning this ever since I started working.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldhag
I have 9 months and 2 weeks left in my working career. After 35 years of shift work I am ready to have every night in bed. I am also looking forward to never having to work a holiday ever again!! I deserve it. I will be 55 when I retire and have been planning this ever since I started working.
I don't know how you did it! My DH worked rotating shifts for several years....we both hated it. When I was working, I preferred the afternoon shift....always hated getting up to an alarm clock. The last day I worked, I took my watch off and haven't worn one since!! I love being retired but wish my hubby would work some days! :lol:
Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM

I don't know how you did it! My DH worked rotating shifts for several years....we both hated it. When I was working, I preferred the afternoon shift....always hated getting up to an alarm clock. The last day I worked, I took my watch off and haven't worn one since!! I love being retired but wish my hubby would work some days! :lol:[/quote]

My DH retired 2 years ago and he worked even worse hours than I did. ON call 24 hr/day 7 days a week. That was the worst.I understand about wishing your DH would work somedays. I am not quite used to him here every day when he went to work he was gone 36- 40 hours and then home for a day. He's ready for me to be home with him every day now that he has adjusted to regular human hours.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Retired from education in 2005 due to CFIDS, after 20 years. didn't start teaching until I was 42 Loved it, but I hated that alarm clock and now I can sleep. stay in bed, listen to the radio and not have to worry about calling for a sub.

Yest. my cardiologist told me he heard of a new drug out for CFIDS - so will get with my primary care MD ASAP. Don't have any heart problems - in 2005 after celebrating 45 yrs. as an open heart surgery patient, thought I would see a cardio. just to make sure heart wasn't contributing to CFIDS. He said I was fine. So last year, thought I would check again here in Denver area. Everything fine. AM I BLESSED!

Helen
Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM

DH and I planned early on to retire at age 55, and we did!
He had worked at the same job for 34 years. He started with AT&T 6 days after discharge from the Air Force, and stayed until retirement. I worked as an RN for the same number of years.
I don't know how I found time to go to work! Everyday is so full doing just the things I want to do.
I thank God for the blessings of a productive life. We both worked hard and planned for our future. Now we're reaping the rewards.