Running Late All The Time?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Default Running Late All The Time?

I woke up at 4 a.m. today. I came to the Quilting Board and looked around on General Chit-Chat and Recipes. I cleaned out my spices and another box with vinegars, molasses, oils, etc. I put away dishes from the dish drainer, started some laundry, talked to my husband before he left for work and then had breakfast while I watched some show on t.v. I had an appointment for a bone scan and needed to leave the house at 8:15 but didn't leave until 8:25. All the way over I was kicking myself for always running behind schedule. I mean, seriously, I had been up since 4 a.m. for crying out loud!!

Several years ago I made a commitment to be punctual and have made major improvements with social events and work (most days I arrive way early to work!). I made it to my appointment on time (but they had asked me to be there a few minutes early to register). They couldn't have been nicer and everything went fine, with no waiting (or feeling rushed). My problem is WHY do I still do this???? Anyone else have this problem and some insight?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM

You need to figure out exactly what causes you to be late.
Do you get distracted, on the computer? If so, stay off of the computer, when you need to go somewhere.
Is it last minute "must do" things? Set an alarm clock, for 10-30 minutes before you need to leave. When that alarm sounds, consider it your signal to quickly wrap up any last minute details . . . then LEAVE THE HOUSE. Don't give yourself even a minute, to get distracted again! Try to leave earlier than needed; you never know what traffic will be like.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM

I'm still stuck on "I woke up at 4:00 AM" and it wasn't followed by "to catch a flight" - which is pretty much the only reason I wake up at O-Dark-Hundred.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM

I can't stand to be late. I always leave too early.LOL. When my children were small, one of them and I left in one car and the other one and his dad came in another car.LATE! They are in their 50's and it still is that way. ha. Now they are not living with us. Whew.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I can't stand to be late. I always leave too early.LOL. When my children were small, one of them and I left in one car and the other one and his dad came in another car.LATE! They are in their 50's and it still is that way. ha. Now they are not living with us. Whew.
This might have something to do with my problem. My mother is NEVER late to anything! My father is late to EVERYTHING! My mother is very neat and tidy. My father stacks paper all over. I think it's genetic. I'm only half joking here. I have to work at staying neat and tidy. . . and puntual.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I have to write myself a note on when I need to leave, and it also helps me to set the microwave timer for 10 minutes before I need to leave. I also allow myself to be up to 5 minutes late to appointments without berating myself; most places allow for people being up to 5 minutes late.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM

Sounds like you were just getting warmed up to enjoy a day at home. Even with a 4 hour lead time, who wants to go to work or a medical test/procedure! When I still worked, I had every clock in the house set 10-15 minutes early. Sounds stupid but it helped a bit. I read somewhere where people who are habitually late have control issues. One thing I do believe is the more time I have, the more time I waste.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm still stuck on "I woke up at 4:00 AM" and it wasn't followed by "to catch a flight" - which is pretty much the only reason I wake up at O-Dark-Hundred.
You so funny!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Guffaw!!!! Me too; I often don't even go to SLEEP until 4am.....and I consider that the 'shank of the evening'!
(When I think of the beautiful sunrises I've missed....sigh. But I usually just lie down until the desire passes.)

Jan in VA
Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 PM

4 a.m. = insomnia. Trust me, I'm not awake at 4 a.m. by choice. LOL Some nights I wake up at midnight. Some nights it's 1-3 a.m. and so on. If I wake up at 4 I may or may not be able to sleep again before I'm up for the day.