Running Late All The Time?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 AM

I am an on time gal!! If I see I am going to be late I don't go. I always leave a few minutes early, especially for a doctors appointment. It is so disrupting when people come in late to meetings, etc, take for example Sunday School. We have one person who is always late, don't know why, she has no one but herself to get ready.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 AM

I have a friend who has this trait....if you are the "waiter" it is annoying...I now tell her 10 minutes earlier when I meet her somewhere but that doesn't always work either....love her anyway LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 AM

I am an on time person....if anything allow even extra time so I will not be late...I hate to rush. I get up at 5:30 am to get to work at 7:30...that allows me time to shower, have a cup of coffee, read a few e-mails, maybe check something else on computer. At 6:30 (one hour before I have to be to work), I stop whatever I am doing and start getting ready for work. I am usually ready by 7 and have time to let my dog out and then head to work. Am always there before I have to be, but like getting there with time to spare rather than get there at the last minute, or worse to get there late.

Maybe start looking at when you need to be there, and set a schedule of what needs to be done before you go, and try to stay to that schedule so you get where you need to be on time. If you don't cut it too close, it is ok to allow yourself to do some things before you need to be where you do...on time. I wouldn't get up at 4 am though unless I HAD to.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 AM

I 'm usually early -but its because I'm directionally challenged so leaving an hour early for a 15 minute drive will get there 10 minutes early.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM

My sister is always late. She was born premature and has been late ever since.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
You need to figure out exactly what causes you to be late.
Do you get distracted, on the computer? If so, stay off of the computer, when you need to go somewhere.
Is it last minute "must do" things? Set an alarm clock, for 10-30 minutes before you need to leave. When that alarm sounds, consider it your signal to quickly wrap up any last minute details . . . then LEAVE THE HOUSE. Don't give yourself even a minute, to get distracted again! Try to leave earlier than needed; you never know what traffic will be like.
I agree if you REALLY don't want to be late you have to figure out why. I have 2 friends, both who are ALWAYS late, but for different reasons. Friend #1 is late because she's trying to do too much - finish the dishes, sweep the floor, fold the wash AND get out the door. Friend #2 is late because she just isn't paying attention. Just gets started on something, and get so absorbed she doesn't even think about the time again till its too late. And neither one seems to be able to do anything about it, but if you can figure it out and work out, you will no doubt be successful! Good luck!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM

I think always being late is part of some people's personality. I once worked with a nurse who was late EVERYDAY. She'd come racing in in the middle of report. They threatened to fire her many times but she was such a good nurse & good person they finally just overlooked it. I lived the farthest from the hosp. was was never late. In my entire life I've never been late for anything in my whole life. Just my nature.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM

I came to realize a few years ago that I'm just hard wired to run late. Therefore, I don't chastize myself when I'm the last person to show up. When I interviewed for my current job I told the boss who hired me that I was usually tardy in the mornings, but would gladly make up the time. That was 12 years ago. Fortunately, there weren't many applicants. :-D
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Perhaps you suffer from the same disease as my VBF. It's commonly referred to as OMT disease.

It seems my friend always starts out with good intentions but somehow thinks she can do One More Thing (OMT) before she leaves so she's almost always late for everything by 5 to 15 minutes (or more)!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM

I'm another one that hates to be late. I'm not usually. I tend to give myself a solid 10-15 min extra to get somewhere particularly if there is 1) specified appointment time; 2) not exactly sure where I'm going; 3) heavy traffic time of day. And I get extremely frustrated by those friends/family that are habitually late. We had a situation over the weekend where the same group of friends were late to 2 different events on the same day! The first was just brunch so it really wasn't too big a deal except the balance of the group was waiting for almost 40 minutes with no phone call. The second instance was that we all needed to meet up with another group of people at a specified time. The 'late arrivals' showed up 20 minutes late for departure. DH was driving to the meet up location, speeding of course as we were now late, and was pulled over by the local police. Fortunately there were no tickets issued. But can someone please explain to me why I should be subjected to a speeding ticket to make up for someone else's tardiness so that I can be on time???? Sorry for the rant but I had to vent about this one!