snakes alive

Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 PM

I seen Homer tonite! I was fishing at the lake, and Homer popped his head up out of the water and was going to climb onto the land. He apparently didn't like me either and went under the water! FYI-Homer was the name of a pet rattlesnake on an episode of Gunsmoke! Since then I named them all Homer, somehow it sounds better than saying "snake"! I hope you find your Homer soon! Real soon!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
Originally Posted by kit'smamma
As long as a non venomous snake is in your house you will never have rodents. They earn their keep and then some. They hide from people and won't startle your guests, they don't smell, leave smelly poop in your cupboards and chew up your batting and fabric like mice will. Roll out the welcome mat!
The snake may not leave a mess but I would if I ever saw one in my house!!!!
You and me both. I would be in a motel till I absolutly knew it was NOT in my house anymore. :cry:
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM

It probably crawled up in your washer where the motor is. Open the outside door, put a towel under the door to the rest of the house so he can't get under the door. Close door tight and wait. Or turn on the washer and let the heat from the motor cook him.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:04 AM

you might need a new sil! my son has a ball python that i gave him when i stopped teaching. she's 24 or older and has gotten quite cantankerous. fortunately, she stays in her cage and doesn't roam the house any more. she used to surprise my son in the bathroom on a regular basis. i guess she liked the cool tile. i don't mind snakes, but i don't like being surprised by them or any other critter. i'm not so brave when they're hissing at me! or sliding up my leg! or looking up at me from under the sofa cushion. all things that have happened! when i used to take her for story hour she would hang on my neck and a couple times went down inside my dress. i always held onto her tail so i had control of her.
they are really good mousers. but i didn't encourage her to wander!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 AM

just for the record, we also had a pet tarantula. they are quite beautiful and very shy! they want more than anything to get away from you. we could pick ours up and he'd sit in our hands. they can only bite if the curve is right, so most parts of the body are safe. if you ever see one, stamp your feet hard (yeah, as you run away) and they will take off in the opposite direction. i don't like the small spiders that can get into your clothes or hair. really, i don't like being surprised by any creature!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 AM

Whats the update on the snake. This has been a hoot of a thead even though I HATE snakes.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 AM

Bless your heart. I don't do snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart is beating fast for you right now.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 AM

We have never have found snake. I cleaned flour off the floor. I am still looking but have decided I am not moving yet.
I sure hope he found his way back outside!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
You are braver than me. I would have been so out of the house.

mltquilt
im with you. no way would i stay = am even petrified to see on tv.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

I was caretaker at nature camp. A herpetology group came to spend the weekend and I went to the shower house to light the water heater. (You can tell where this story is going.) First get on hands and knees, stick head in cubby, lean way down to guide paper twist to the pilot and see snake draped around the burner. Quick hands and knees retreat. Zip over to the herpetologists saying "There's a snake in the water heater." Mass stampede of reptile enthusiasts to shower house. Slow return. "Did you get it?" asks I. "No" say the experts "It's just a garter snake, it won't hurt you."

They just looked at it, decided it wasn't very interesting and left it curled up on the burner.

I went out with a big stick and hammered on the side of the tank for a while and when I returned later to light the heater, the snake was gone.

Stinky fingers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246383[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-246377.jpe