So, how are you "Green"?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Just read the rant thread about wasted space, etc just to get to be green. I was just wondering, what are you doing to help avoid waste? (this is not to be a rant, just an idea thread on how to do better)

I do recycle my trash. When I buy items from the store, I take the styrofoam blocks and/or peanuts to a mailing center for them to use in their packages. I do use the CFC bulbs, but only in lights that the old bulbs need replacing. If I'm not in the room or using it, I turn the lights off.

For me, this is not about "living green", it's about not being wasteful.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm with you redkimba. My 'depression era parents' were so frugal it was almost religious. Just adopted the way of life and use it fully. Thanks for this thread.

Blessings, Ruth
Old 09-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Well, at our house we don't use the clothes dryer, except in winter time when we can't hang clothes on the line. Last winter there were very few times that we had to use the dryer. We also wash dishes by hand.

I was also raised with the "waste not - want not" mentality.
(That's why my closet is full of "stuff". Mostly old clothes that I'm going to cut up and make quilts out of, and old denim overalls that I have plans to use for other things. Besides, hubby always needs cleaning rags so anything that can be used for that purpose is saved.

I go shopping once a month, and other than that we stay at home. There are times of course that things come up and we have to make trips to town. It's 15 miles to the nearest town to shop, so we try to plan ahead and get it in one trip.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Oh I envy your clothesline. I live in a city that out lawed the clothes line. BUT I still have my poles up that daddy made out of star drill shafts. Miss the sweet smell of 'clean clothes'.

THanks for that jog of memory.

Blessings Ruth
Old 09-25-2010, 05:27 PM

I have a clothes line and don't use the dryer. We recycle pretty much everything we're able and kids and hubby ride their bikes around rather than driving. We collect water and have a compost bin. We free range our 2 chickens and we have under 1/2 acre lot. I think we're pretty green in comparison to the typical American family.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Oh my gosh - we lived for the past 15 years off the grid - my husband installed and maintained our solar panel system for years. Recycling - only making trips in the car when needed- turn off lights, water and such - only use what we - oh and those tote grocery bags that are made out of fabric - I use those too.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrspete
Oh I envy your clothesline. I live in a city that out lawed the clothes line. BUT I still have my poles up that daddy made out of star drill shafts. Miss the sweet smell of 'clean clothes'.

THanks for that jog of memory.

Blessings Ruth
Why did the city outlaw a clothesline? I think I would throw a fit!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM

We recycle all cans, glass, etc. We have a well, but we don't overwater, etc. We burn wood in the winter. The wood is from our land. We "harvest" pine trees. The Jackpine is a weed here, and if we don't cut it, we'll end up with fire hazard....besides not being able to see out the window (I cleared out 64 small seedlings out of my front flower bed!!!!). We have a car that gets 30-35 mpg, and we only go into town 1-2 times a week. We turn out lights, etc...and use the bulbs that are energy savers.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

We have always tried to be energy efficient. It help on the bills too.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:18 PM

We don't use the drier, in winter I try to hang 1 load a day on clothes airers inside the house, I always have laundry hanging around but I would rather that than the extra elecricity charges.
We have a rain water tank, so we can water our vegetables even if we are on water restrictions.
Also have 2 chickens for eggs.
We compost everything we can or recycle it, our actual rubbish bin is almost always only 1/2 full, for a family of 4 I think that is pretty good.
We don't buy alot of pre packaged food so that helps too.