Something I Am Working On

Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Oh, they are adorable. I think my personal preference would be to paint this one. I love blue. And, you already have one not painted. Can't wait to see what you decide to do.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM

I remember seeing a similar holder when I was a kid ... I think it was at my Grandma's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Maybe I can talk my DH into making one (or more) for me.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM

There's a cute and handy caddy! I love robin's egg blue (you should see my sewing room!) so that would appeal to me, but second choice would be natural stain.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:37 AM

Thank you all for looking and giving your opinion. I hadn't considered blue stain. That is an interesting idea! Sometimes it helps to see a thing from the perspective of others. I think I remember seeing one of these when I was kid too. One of the things I like about it is that it looks vintage. I think leaving the wood natural, while appealing, has a tendency to show fingerprints. Staining it would lend a rustic feel. Painting it would pretty it up and make it look charming and unique. Most of the ones I've seen photos of have been stained. No matter how I choose to finish it, it will still be cute. Since I already have one that is natural, I think I'm leaning toward painting it.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 AM

I would stain it. I think you have a great product. It doesn't say where you live, but if you have a LQS in your area, stop and ask if they would put them in their shop. Or, I sell on ETSY (fabric and wood projects) and really enjoy it. If you are so inclined, the site has the best tutorials for setting up that I have ever seen and the cost to post is very small (so much better than the ebay site). The only thing is that you need to be very good about keeping your cost down and planning your shipping. Perhaps alter the size of your item to fit into a flat rate USPS box. But, for a 20 cent 4 month posting cost, it is worth a try. I know I would purchase this as a gift.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 AM

Very clever!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Klswift, Thank you for suggesting that I sell them. I might consider it. My son and I made this together, but I could also make it without him. I actually have thought about selling on Etsy before. Years ago I sold my things at a few craft fairs and I really enjoyed that. I make other things too, like earrings, for example. I've purchased sewing patterns on Etsy, so I am familiar with the site. I've been very busy for the last several years, but I think I'll have more free time in a couple of months to possibly pursue this idea. You mentioned making it fit into a small box; it is actually three pieces held together by 3 screws.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM

If you want to keep the look of natural wood, I suggest using a urathane gel. It is really easy to apply, easy to clean up, and dries quickly. Rockler stores carry it.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 AM

I would keep the wood and I also admire the tea pots. I love teapots and have six. I hope I don't buy any more. I have no place to put them.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM

How cute! Great job. Show picture when you decide and finish.