Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: soothing object for toddler

My neighbor's 3 year old has for some reason been crying at daycare for the last few weeks. His mother is looking to make him a soothing object that he can bring to daycare. She is looking to make something out of fabric with different textures to wear around his wrist. Does anyone have any experience with soothing objects or have ideas for a pattern? My kids are 29 and 30 and this is a new concept to me.
    Thanks for your help.

She could make a tube, with somthing smooth on one side, and strips of textured fabrics on the other. Put in a little batting or stuffing and a strip of elastic to make a bracelet that can be played with.

Blog Entries
    I will search and see if I can find an idea for you

article to read:

http://www.autism-pdd.net/testdump/test1776.htm

soft fabric balls all sizes link tutorial how to make:

http://www.purlbee.com/fabric-beach-balls/

cozy quick blanket
    http://www.purlbee.com/cozy-quick-blankie/

Quote Originally Posted by Minnisewta
    My neighbor's 3 year old has for some reason been crying at daycare for the last few weeks. His mother is looking to make him a soothing object that he can bring to daycare. She is looking to make something out of fabric with different textures to wear around his wrist. Does anyone have any experience with soothing objects or have ideas for a pattern? My kids are 29 and 30 and this is a new concept to me.
    Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    She could make a tube, with somthing smooth on one side, and strips of textured fabrics on the other. Put in a little batting or stuffing and a strip of elastic to make a bracelet that can be played with.
    or, to close the tube, leave it open and put a velcro closer on it to make it easy to remove

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    OR START WITH GETTING ANSWERS AS TO WHY THE RECENT CHANGE? sorry bout caps. but seriously-get answers

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    OR START WITH GETTING ANSWERS AS TO WHY THE RECENT CHANGE? sorry bout caps. but seriously-get answers
    I agree, is there something or someone that is making him upset?

The tag blankets are wonderful. I've seen them as small as 12 inches square. Each tag is a different texture and very soothing.

Blog Entries
    yes i'd go and sit with him during day care to see why he crys. scary. i was lucky.
    no idea on soothing object though. maybe just a small stuffed toy to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    She is a single parent and she broke her leg in July. She has no family in the area so the neighbors have been helping her as much as possible. I won't even go into what the last 2-3 months have been like for her. She had to move the beds down to the main level and has pretty much had to live in the living room/dining room and kitchen. We neighbors have helped with wash/litter box cleaning and getting the baby in and out of the car seat in the morning and night. The day care lady helps her at that end. Every week something else goes wrong like the car breaks down , the kids get sick. I'm sure it has been the worst 5 months of her life. She is a very kind and caring person and is a great mother to her 2 boys. She has the patients of a saint and her boys are her first priority. The 3 year old has been at this day care for over 3 years and likes to go there. Nothing has really changed at day care that can point to why this is happening. The day care provider is very good at what she does and the little boy likes her too. I don't think changing day care would help and it may make it worse. The mom is a psychology professor at a college and is doing everything to figure out how to change this.
    so that is the story with my neighbor.
    thanks for your concern and help with ideas.

It is helpful to squirt some of Mom's colgone or hand lotion or something familiar to the child on the object. It will help him remember Mom and may be soothing to him.

When I taught Sp. Ed. PreK, we suggested to parents that they saturate a hankie with "their scent" for the child to carry in his pocket for children who were having separation issuses.

Or, a squishy ball or soft ball with spikes (I don't know what they call them) he can carry in his pocket might be helpful.

It sounds like he is just reacting to all of the changes in his life.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast