Stolen checks?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 AM
DJ

What are you supposed to do if you have checks stolen. We think one was solen from our mailbox. It's a $20 check and costs $30 to have it cancelled, but they are probably after our account information more than anything else. We're going to close that account and open a new one this morning. Any other cautions?

Thanks! I know this forum is a wealth of all kinds of information!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 AM

What a pain. I'm sorry this happened to you.

It used to be important to make sure the bank didn't start your check numbers over because some places wouldn't accept low number checks because it looked like a new account. In this electronic age, that may not be so important.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 AM

you are doing the right thing....and make sure the bank knows why you are cancelling the acct....they can keep an eye out for any unusual activity.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 AM

Closing the account is the best thing. If they try to cash the check, they're busted! I'm pretty sure they will be photographed. If they try to access your acct the acct will be closed.

Scary what people can do to you these days.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Sorry this happened, but you are doing the right thing. Hope you get the account closed before anyone tries to cash the missing check.

This is why I don't mail personal checks anymore. If I can't pay the bill via internet, I use my local banks Bill Pay to pay a bill or send money. This way you always have proof of payment & no more check got lost or stolen in the mail issues. My credit card company also notifies me of any charges to my account over a certain amount.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM

This is why I don't mail personal checks anymore. If I can't pay the bill via internet, I use my local banks Bill Pay to pay a bill or send money. This way you always have proof of payment & no more check got lost or stolen in the mail issues. My credit card company also notifies me of any charges to my account over a certain amount.[/quote]
---------------------------------
I do use personal checks, but NEVER leave them in the door. I take them to the post office and put them in the mail box there. Also, you absolutely MUST be careful not to just stick them in the slot with a mass of other letters there (WHAT were they THINKING???) where I or anyone else could simply grab a handful of letters and take them with me. We have about 5 mail boxes behind the post office and I choose one of the further ones. The first two are usually full to overflowing!!!!!

As for home delivery, we have a slot in the door, that really does help a lot. And for packages, I have a cheapie ($40 per year) mail box at the main post office. Things put on the porch open to the road have a tendency to follow others home.

For ordering things online, I always pay by Money Order, never
personal checks.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM

You could have your new checks sent to your bank and pick them up in person. I know it's a pain but whoever took the first ones is still out there somewhere.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM

I solved this problem ages ago.........

I just don't pay my bills.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I solved this problem ages ago.........

I just don't pay my bills.
Hehe. Maybe thats what I should do. LOL. Just think of how much money we would have for sewing. LOL
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Sounds like your right on track.Was it a box of checks? You might want to report the ck #'s and file a report with your local police station,even if you are closing the account. That way you have a record of it, you may not be the only one in your area and they may have more tips on how to handle the situation. Wishing you a speedy resolution :thumbup: