Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: tearing fabric

Blog Entries

tearing fabric

I am just curious how many of you go to quilt stores where they tear your fabic. I went to one the other day and they tore mine. I do not like it. I like the nice straight cut. I have not see this at any other shops. what is your opnion.
    God is good all the time dlprecisionquilting.com

Years ago all fabric shops did that before good scissors and the cutting wheel. I do not like it, perfer cutting. I am 77 years old

Blog Entries
    I like it when it is ripped, as \i can be certain it is on grain.
    Proud Parent of two Dwight Canada Students

http://dwightcanada.org/

Power Poster
    HATE to have my fabric ripped! I aways loose at least another 1/2 inch off the ripped sides as I trim away the distorted threads.

I've only been to one where they did this. I prefer it cut.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I prefer the ripping because you know you have the straight of grain and much quicker than the pull the thread method. I find that the little bit I lose is more than compensated for when the blocks cut are on the grain they fit together so nicely. They press flat like a drea - match like a dream etc. When it is cut by the store I bring it home wash it and rip one edge to get the cut I want. But in the final analysis it boils down to personal preference -- all quilts look nice when done with either method. My problem is that I am old school, completed my first stitchery in the late forties - and old habits die hard.

I like the cutting edge better. I've never been anywhere where they ripped the fabric is it something new they are doing? Sue

I like it ripped because it is on the grain. with cutting there is often a big distortion fro the top to the bottom as they do not cut straight.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    I like it ripped because it is on the grain. with cutting there is often a big distortion fro the top to the bottom as they do not cut straight.
    I wish they all ripped instead of cutting! One example of really off grain happened on an extra wide piece for backing...before I ironed it I saw it was a bit off....so ripped..at start of "rip" it was about 1/2",by the time I got to other edge.....almost 6"......then had to have a friend come over and "tug" opposite corners w/me to straighten it out....good thing I bought a bit extra yardage to begin with! When fab is a cut piece and I am going to cut into it for the first time I always "tug" to get those woven threads straightened out...I think the factory bolting has a lot to do with the katywompness of some fab....and the price of fab does not make it immune to this

I prefer cut fabric. I have never had anyone rip mine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast