Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tradition

Have always done that, we went a step further and either boiled or pressured the bones until the meat fell off and made turkey noodle soup from t, always the best because there were all the flavors from the stuffing as well.

Blog Entries
    Yep, my Mom did and I do also.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I always cook the neck and giblets. It adds extra flavor to the gravy and I also use some of the broth in my dressing.
    Aronel aka Lee

Yes I always do this and use some of the broth for the dressing to for moisture.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

We do this as well, I believe grandma (both sides) did this also. It just seems like such a waste to not do this.
    I will be cooking thanksgiving dinner twice this year, once at mother-in-law's on Thanksgiving and again back home on Saturday for the kids who can't make it to grandma's. Leftovers will be abounding!

Giblet gravy is my DH favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. His mom always added a hard boiled egg so I do too.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    I always do this! And let it cool to add corn starch to thicken the turkey juices for gravy! Also save the extra giblets juice for soup and leftovers. I don't know any other way to cook a turkey. Happy Thanksgiving, may you enjoy family and friends, and remember all the reasons you have to be thankful!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    no we never did this.

Yes, the neck and giblets cook while we assemble the stuffing, and then some goes into the stuffing and the rest go into the gravy. It adds flavor, and to me using all the little bits honors the ancestors who went through lean times and were thankful for all that a great bird provided. Our stuffing has so much "stuff" in it that when the kids were young they had no idea about the organ meats, or they might have turned their noses up. It always has to have bread cubes, raisins, apples, onions, walnuts, giblets, sausage and seasoning. I chop everything and DH stuffs the bird. Both of us come from families that had similar rituals.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley

They become part of my gravy. I cook them and, after removing skin and bones, I put the liquid and parts in the blender; when it's well blended and added to the yummy pan drippings, there are no lumps (or liver/heart/gizzard taste) in the gravy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast