Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tradition

Blog Entries
    My mom did that when she cooked. I cook now and don't. I am not a gravy person, so that's probably why I don't do it.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I put the neck and giblets in a sauce pan with chopped celery,onion,a little carrot. I simmer,then strain,then use with pan drippings. My family likes lots of gravy.
    This is how I do it too!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Yes, that is part of the gravy prepration in our home.

I always simmer my giblets, makes a wonderful flavor to my gravy and I add some to my dressing also. I am a girl from the north and we make dressing with bread cubes not cornbread. My dogs eat the meat!

Giblet Gravy....Ah Yes! The flavors make my mouth water.....Hey! It's almost that time of year....LOL!

Have always done that, we went a step further and either boiled or pressured the bones until the meat fell off and made turkey noodle soup from t, always the best because there were all the flavors from the stuffing as well.

Blog Entries
    Yep, my Mom did and I do also.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I always cook the neck and giblets. It adds extra flavor to the gravy and I also use some of the broth in my dressing.
    Aronel aka Lee

Yes I always do this and use some of the broth for the dressing to for moisture.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

We do this as well, I believe grandma (both sides) did this also. It just seems like such a waste to not do this.
    I will be cooking thanksgiving dinner twice this year, once at mother-in-law's on Thanksgiving and again back home on Saturday for the kids who can't make it to grandma's. Leftovers will be abounding!

Giblet gravy is my DH favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. His mom always added a hard boiled egg so I do too.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    I always do this! And let it cool to add corn starch to thicken the turkey juices for gravy! Also save the extra giblets juice for soup and leftovers. I don't know any other way to cook a turkey. Happy Thanksgiving, may you enjoy family and friends, and remember all the reasons you have to be thankful!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    no we never did this.

Yes, the neck and giblets cook while we assemble the stuffing, and then some goes into the stuffing and the rest go into the gravy. It adds flavor, and to me using all the little bits honors the ancestors who went through lean times and were thankful for all that a great bird provided. Our stuffing has so much "stuff" in it that when the kids were young they had no idea about the organ meats, or they might have turned their noses up. It always has to have bread cubes, raisins, apples, onions, walnuts, giblets, sausage and seasoning. I chop everything and DH stuffs the bird. Both of us come from families that had similar rituals.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

They become part of my gravy. I cook them and, after removing skin and bones, I put the liquid and parts in the blender; when it's well blended and added to the yummy pan drippings, there are no lumps (or liver/heart/gizzard taste) in the gravy.

I always do this too. Nannc what does the hard boiled egg do in the gravy? a thickener? After I boil the neck with a stalk of celery and onion I take off whatever meat and use that in the stuffing. I cook the heart and giblets with the turkey and hubby and daughter argue over who get what. The liver I fry up for the dog so they could celebrate too. Have you ever not taken the giblet pack out of the neck? Don't ask!!!
    Sharon

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    absolutely! no waste.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Yes. That's the way my grandmother taught me to make gravy, and honestly, it doesn't taste as good without it.

I confess I have a couple times gone beyond the neck and the giblets. Bought extra necks and wings, browned them well in a roasting pan on the grill, added celery carrots onions and spices and a quart of water and simmered. Something about the browned meat adding caramelized flavor and nice brown color...mmmmm
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Hi Tartan,The neck and giblets are so. so important in making gravy.However here in the U.K I have to always insist on them being included.I ususally buy from my local butcher, no problem- however supermarkets often don't include them and frozen turkey certainly does not!! How can you make gravey without giblets? In the past I have had to resort to buying chicken livers to make a stock----Roll on Christmas, and first for you in the U.S. Thanksgiving, love to you all . Letty

Yes, but I would remove the meat from the neck and chop the giblets and use all of it in my dressing, along with the stock to dampen the croutons. I also added some celery, onion and a pinch of poultry seasoning.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Of course! At Christmas I even cook up the giblets the night before to get a head start.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

My husband's family LOVES dressing, so the giblets are ground with 1# of bacon and an onion; then add sage, a dash of nutmeg, eggs and croutons (1/2 seasoned & 1/2 plain) and LOTS of warm water. Use your hands to 'squish' it altogether!!! It is so moist when done. They want more stuffing than will fit in the turkey cavity and under the neck skin. The neck is saved to add with the carcass for turkey/homemade noodle soup. My sister-in-law thought she would add a little 'color' to the dressing one year and added shredded carrots............which did not get approval from the siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    I have never mastered the art of making gravy, but I still cook the neck and giblets and feed it to the dog. Happy Thanksgiving for him, too.
    I hope you don't give the dog the neck bones. They can cause all kinds of problems - stuck in gums, throat, stomach perforation or intestinal block - to name a few. I know many people have fed dogs and cats too with nary a problem, but it only takes once. Don't mean to offend but check online or with your vet please!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2