Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tranplants (hubby got a new kidney & pancreas) >

Tranplants (hubby got a new kidney & pancreas)

Tranplants (hubby got a new kidney & pancreas)

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 AM

I am so glad to hear both of your DH's are doing well after that. I had a very near and dear to my heart loved one that had a transplant twice and it just never worked out well for her. I believe it was about 4 years ago that she decided to turn off the dialysis and pass away. It was better for her she was not living a life. This was my aunt, but my mom being a single mom growing up I spent alot of summers with my aunt and she is the one who got me into crafting and cooking and all the things I love. We did so much with her and I have many great memories of her, she was like a mom to me. But she is in a better place now, it is no life to lead when you dont have a good kidney, she was in and out of hospitals since before her first transplant, diabetic and she had lupus. I can remember a counter full of meds she had to take, even before the transplants. So I am soooo glad for you that your husbands have done so well, that is a true blessing!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 AM

MY donor card has been signed for 20 years. I remember when I first did it I needed to witness to sign, my husband and a co-worker.

So glad your husbands are doing well..
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt. I am sure it was a very difficult situation and a tough desicion to make. She must have been a very strong and determined woman. Bess her soul.

On the day we did our transplant there was another one going onbetween twin sisters and it didn't work. The organ was lost and had to be removed within hours of surgery. I felt horrible. There were Jorge and I, not blood related, walking the hallways to recover, and on the other hand twin sisters, walking around as well, because after all, they had the surgeries happened, trying to recover as well. They were bitter and asked the nurses to allow them to walk around only if Jorge and I were not. They didn't want to see us. I didn't blame them.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
MY donor card has been signed for 20 years. I remember when I first did it I needed to witness to sign, my husband and a co-worker.

So glad your husbands are doing well..
Even if the card is signed, make sure your family members know your wishes, because even if you sign, your family can change that, sometimes by ignorance.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

My card has been signed for almost as many years as I have had my license :D:D:D My family members (except one) are all signed up as donor's too!!!
My uncle had a kidney transplant, the kidney came from a cousin. He and my cousin both came through the surgeries with flying colors.
I am also on the bone marrow donor list :wink:
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM

My DMIL was given a kidney transplant many years ago. Unfortunately it failed, imho partly due to negative thinking. They did put her back on the transplant list, but she passed before her name came up again. In the years I knew her before she passed, she was a very strong woman despite all her sickness and she fought the good fight all the way to the end...it was liver cancer that took her. I am so glad to hear that your DH is doing well and wish you all the best in the years to come.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM

i only know one other kidney transplant recipient, and has done fine for over 20 years. he's on his 2nd, but works full time, long hours with lots of stress. he works construction. he's almost 60 and still going strong. i agree it's also a positive outlook that helps. btw, maride, his twin sister refused to help him. he had to wait for a stranger while he was on full-time dialysis.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i only know one other kidney transplant recipient, and has done fine for over 20 years. he's on his 2nd, but works full time, long hours with lots of stress. he works construction. he's almost 60 and still going strong. i agree it's also a positive outlook that helps. btw, maride, his twin sister refused to help him. he had to wait for a stranger while he was on full-time dialysis.
I guess sometimes people are just afraid of being hurt. Jorge's mother didn't even go to the screening when his father and I went. She is a good woman, but she needs to be the center of attention. She couldn't handle the fact that Jorge was during that time. She even faked being sick shortly after their surgery.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I don't know of a kidney or pancreas transplant, but I have an uncle that gets pigs valves in his heart, every so many years, since aged ten.
He is on disability, but stays as busy as he can and is a very talented man, and has used it to the best of his ability.
He is a really good person. When I call, since he lives with my grandmother, sometimes those things work out perfectly for both parties...I talk to him longer than grandma. (she is 93 and gets tired).
Great that your hubby is now 54 and still doing well! Probably bc he has a loving, supportive wife by his side ;)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM

I don't know of anyone that has had a transplant, but my DH had severe pancreatitis nineteen yrs. ago and is now a diabetic. He wasn't expected to make it and was a father of four and only 38 at the time. I'll be thinking of you and prayers for you and your family. My donor card has been signed for over 20 yrs. I do know of someone that donated their son's organs when he was in a tragic motorcycle accident. What an awesome why to keep your son alive thru someone else.