Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Trip to Colorado - lots of quilts and fabric, and one poor experience >

Trip to Colorado - lots of quilts and fabric, and one poor experience

Trip to Colorado - lots of quilts and fabric, and one poor experience

Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM

I guess we should have prepared you that this could happen and how an American would have handled it. Always ask for manager if unhappy with something and you are not getting any satisfaction from the employee. "May I speak to the manager or owner" usually gets you good attention. Glad you had a good trip besides this insisdent
Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM

I for one would like to know what quilt shop in the Boulder area to avoid. Every few years we visit the Denver area to visit family. Our next visit is tentatively scheduled for August of 2015 for a 50th high school reunion. I will want to haunt some GOOD shops.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM

When I hear about people like that, what pops into my mind (and yes, I confess, I sometimes even say it, if the situation warrants it) "Are you always so rude, or do they pay you extra for that?" That always gets their attention, especially if you say it loud enough for the manager to hear. <G>

I said that to a rude cabbie in NYC one time, when I was 17 (my poor, polite father was beyond horrified), but the guy thought it was so funny, he ended up driving us around the city for two hours - NO CHARGE! - and when he returned us to the hotel, he jumped out and took our bags up to the doorman, who was flabbergasted at such courtesy. It worked well on a rude cabbie in Paris, too, but in French. <G> Sassiness absolutely knows no boundaries.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you in the US. We really are nice, at least most of us, but you find a stinker sometimes. I would have loudly proclaimed that one of my lifelong dreams must have come true---I am now invisible! Sometimes you have to do what you have to do and give it right back to them! Glad the rest of your visit was good, though!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM

I am so sorry you had a bad experience. I had one similar in a quilt shop in northern California -- I went in and piled about 10 bolts of fabric on the cutting table but the folks in the shop (4) only talked and took care of the people who came in that they knew -- all of whom came in after me. I finally asked if the shop was open to the public or if it is membership only. I got a strange look and was told they were preparing for a show and went back to talking. I went to leave and was asked to put the bolts away since I did not buy anything. I told them no -- since they did not see fit to wait on me I would not consider having anything else to do with the shop.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Great response to their overbearing request. Good One!

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I am so sorry you had a bad experience. I had one similar in a quilt shop in northern California -- I went in and piled about 10 bolts of fabric on the cutting table but the folks in the shop (4) only talked and took care of the people who came in that they knew -- all of whom came in after me. I finally asked if the shop was open to the public or if it is membership only. I got a strange look and was told they were preparing for a show and went back to talking. I went to leave and was asked to put the bolts away since I did not buy anything. I told them no -- since they did not see fit to wait on me I would not consider having anything else to do with the shop.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 AM

So sorry this happened to you. I am glad the rest of the trip was great. I think it is definitely worth telling the owner when there is a problem. My boss just told the staff that we are to let the phone go to messages when we are with a customer. What a relief! I am sure that she either saw the problem or that perhaps a customer told her that they felt it was rude or not fair. It isn't always easy to see how the paying customer is seeing things, I am glad you voiced this problem, it sure helps me to be better at my job. Thank you!